Frozen Belgian ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt2778

Reaction score
Had an idiot moment earlier in the week that I've just now realized. I did a split 10 gallon ipa a few weeks ago. Five gallons just got two packs of notty and the other five got wyeast 1388. My goal in the deal was to compare the two side by side. Well the notty batch has since been kegged while the 1388 took a bit longer. Monday I dry hopped the 1388 and while closing the door to my freezer ferm chamber conversion I accidentally knocked the temp probe out and shut the lid. Today I went down to begin cranking down the temps to find that my fermenter was frozen solid. It doesn't appear to be cracked but I'll be keeping an eye on things.

Anyone ever have a similar mishap? Any issues I should concern myself with?

I've frozen a few beers in my keezer..in kegs. Are you using a carboy? I'd probably see if I could get it into a bucket just in case, even if it doesn't looked cracked the glass could be unstable now.

I've frozen beer in a carboy. It usually doesn't freeze that hard and if you gradually thaw it I don't see any harm.

Back