frozen batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pepper

Reaction score
Brewed an IPA on 2/6/09
started with 5 gallons of 1.040 wort courtesy of leftover wort from a big batch of IPA at the local brewpub
boiled for 90 minutes, added DME and hops
pitched liquid yeast from the brewery
original gravity 1.065 2/6/09

incredible action within a couple of hours by the yeast
high bubbling over the next day

2/15/09 no bubbling for the past 2 days figure its time to rack off into secondary fermentor
start racking off when I check the S.G. and its only at 1.042
no biggie I figure, I finish racking off and pour the yeast into the secondary to allow the business to continue

2/22/09 (today) no visual progress since 1 week ago check S.G. dropped a hair to 1.040
no progress in the last week , 2 weeks fermenting total seems like it should be nearer to done than 1.040 right?
what happened? The sample had excellent flavor, great color, tasted alcoholic, slight carbonation

Second batch also in question
brewed on 2/8/09 Amber Ale
partial mash crystal and chocolate malts
DME and hops
60 minutes boiling time
pitched liquid yeast from brewery
starting gravity 1.057
steady bubbling for first 4 days or so
intermittent bubbling thereafter
2 weeks later today 2/22/09 no bubbling in a few days figure I'll check the gravity
2/22 S.G. 1.033 tastes good! good color
may be jumping the gun on this one too, but seems like it'd be further along than 1.033 did the yeast quit? I know bubbling means nothing but the Gravity readings seem like they should be further along, any tips? I'm trying to remember Charlie Papazian's "don't worry about it too much" advice many thanks, Pat and Emma brewers

with my tap water it zeros at about 1.000 to 1.005
I'll get some distilled water today and try it with that

moved the Amber Ale to a warmer room and fermentation seems to have picked back up

Repitched yeast on the IPA and fermentation has picked back up

after some reading realized I made the mistake of reintroducing oxygen to both after fermentation had begun
and likely didn't oxygenate either batch enough to begin with
seems like both are back on track at the moment, crossing my fingers for some beer in th e near future

Back