Froze a keg...now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darwin18

Reaction score
So....I accidentally froze a keg of my California Common last week. During cleaning and transferring a cider, I placed the temperature probe in a higher location on the kegerator, and realized my mistake a few hours later when I went to pull the last of my Weizen.

The Common has been sitting the kegerator for the last two weeks doing the typical "sit and forget" method and tonight I wanted to try it to see where it was at. The sample I pulled was horribly alcoholic, sweet, and cloyingly strong. I thought that perhaps I was experiencing my first infection until I went to dump the keg, and realized that the beer at the top of the keg tasted fine, albeit a bit watery. My brilliant wife reminded me that I had froze the keg last week...

So what are my options? The keg has definitely stratified into distinct layers and needs to be remixed. I don't think that I can just let it sit in the keg and it will mix back together but I'm cautious about shaking the keg and oxidizing the beer.

My thoughts:

1) Take the keg out of the kegerator, gently roll it and mix the beer then place back on the gas.
2) Place a sanitized long spoon into the keg and gently stir the beer.

Anyone have any insight?

Oxidation should not be an issue assuming the keg was originally purged and kept under pressure.

I would let the beer thaw out, purge, gently roll to mix and put back on the gas and call it an Eisenbock!

Thanks Duboman - I purged the keg several times last night, then removed it and shook it / rolled it vigorously to mix the separated. I'll try it tonight and see if it's improved. It tasted great going into the keg and I had high hopes for it in an upcoming competition.

FYI - Tried a sample last night and it was much improved and closer to what I expect from this particular recipe. I didn't taste any signs of oxidation. Thank you all!

Back