From CA to UT - New to Brew.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarackBrewbama

Reaction score
Hey everyone, my name is Jared, and like most new people to the forum, I am also new to brewing.

I moved from California to Utah when I was 22, and I am now currently 28. Utah is actually a nice play to live and I am enjoying it quite well, the only BIG downside is the liquor laws, which can be quite harsh sometimes.

I'll go ahead and copy the next part from my user details which involves my current experience with home brewing:

Friends heard me mention being interested in home brewing one day. They bought me a Mr. Beer kit along with 3 more beer kits for it last Christmas.

First experience didn't work so well, I believe I made the standard amateur mistake of not letting my primary fermentation process go on long enough, also believe I screwed up the carbonation phase, by bottling/sugaring and immediately putting the bottles in the fridge instead of letting them sit in a higher temperature room for a couple weeks.

It tasted ok.... but very flat.

Currently in 2nd Experience.
Started reading through the Wiki, and noticed I should have added in any extra ingredients while in the second fermentation during the Conditioning phase... which I did not do. I did it during the boiling the wort phase, and now I'm worried I've ef'd myself. So Figured I come here and talk to some experts.

So that's what brought me here, I've done quite a bit of reading while at work on this site, the wiki, etc. and I'm already learning a lot more than I knew a couple days ago, figured I join up, introduce myself, and possibly post my question above in the help section if I don't end up finding my answer while browsing the forums :)

After using this very amateur, probably ridiculous in most of your eyes Mr. Brew kit, it has definitely made me interested in making this more of a legit hobby to invest some money into to start brewing in a better fashion.

Luckily there is a local store out here called the Beer Nutt, which has all the supplies I could possibly ever need.

Well, after that long winded intro, it's nice to be here, and hopefully I get to meet/know some of you a little better throughout my time here :tank:

*edit*
p.s. I also wanted to mention, I work for a company that sells fluid flow products, (tubing, fittings, pipe, tanks, valves, pumps, etc) A good potion of this product I sell is food grade quality, (odor-free, taste-free, nsf/fda compliant, etc) Not sure if that will be of any extra use to home brewing, but if your looking for something cheap, I'm sure I can help out ;)

Back