Fridge Trouble

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-Dan-

Reaction score
I converted one of those common housefield fridge/freezer combos (top freezer/bottom fridge) into a kegerator. Fast forward ... I noticed yesterday I had warm beer.

Did some initial troubleshooting and couldn't figure anything out. I decided to defrost the thing since it had been a long time and ice was building up quite a bit. I also didn't notice any air flow from the freezer into the fridge. 24hr later, everything is clean, dry and ready to go. Fridge was plugged in again and everything appears to work. However, now the freezer doesn't get below 40deg and the fridge maintains ambient 55deg. Air flows between freezer/fridge again; however, since the freezer doesn't get cold really, the fridge doesn't either. :( I also cleaned the coils and everything else yesterday while I was at it.

The fridge itself is like 10-11 years old and def not worth calling a repair guy. However, on the other side if I can salave it, I wouldn't mind. Any ideas what else I could look at? I appreciate it

wish I could help besides google the problem. one thing I do know is if you have turned the fridge on it's side for some reason you have to let it sit upright for 24 hours or so or it won't get cold, something to do with the freon or other gasses involved. Check craiglist, good deals all the time on refrigerators.

I converted one of those common housefield fridge/freezer combos (top freezer/bottom fridge) into a kegerator. Fast forward ... I noticed yesterday I had warm beer.

Did some initial troubleshooting and couldn't figure anything out. I decided to defrost the thing since it had been a long time and ice was building up quite a bit. I also didn't notice any air flow from the freezer into the fridge. 24hr later, everything is clean, dry and ready to go. Fridge was plugged in again and everything appears to work. However, now the freezer doesn't get below 40deg and the fridge maintains ambient 55deg. Air flows between freezer/fridge again; however, since the freezer doesn't get cold really, the fridge doesn't either. :( I also cleaned the coils and everything else yesterday while I was at it.

The fridge itself is like 10-11 years old and def not worth calling a repair guy. However, on the other side if I can salave it, I wouldn't mind. Any ideas what else I could look at? I appreciate it
It's probably a bad compressor and not worthe salvaging.

Back