Fridge temp vs yeast temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sa1126

Reaction score
I built the infamous HBT "ebay aquarium temperature controller" and am going to brew this weekend using my garage fridge. The Cali ale yeast calls for 68-73 degrees for optimum temperature range.

What should I set the temperature controller to accounting for wort temp versus air temp?

Please note that I am probably over-thinking this...I just want a killer first batch using the new setup :rockin:

IMO
I recommend monitoring & controlling the wort temperature. I have great success with compressing the probe against the exterior of my carboy under a piece of closed cell foam.

Start at the low temperature. After a few days of active fermentation slowly allow the temperature to rise a degree a day to the high value for cleanup.

Gotta love the STC-1000. Now that you've got this going on, your beers will improve to the next level.

I do believe that the majority of us simply tape that little black temp probe to the side of the bucket/carboy, tape some insulating material (I use bubblewrap) on top of it and read our temps that way. It works quite well.

For the Cali ale yeast (which is Chico strain, same as US-05), lots of folks run that in the 65-66*F range with great results. I'd pitch that at about 64*F and set your STC at 18.5*C (65.3*F). The 0.5*C tolerance will let it top at about 66*F before the fridge kicks in. Run it there for 5 days and then adjust the STC so that you let the beer come up to 68-69*F for the rest of the ferment.

Are you planning on making a starter? Pitching just one vial into 5 gallons of typical gravity wort is not enough yeast. I'd pitch a packet of US-05 (rehydrated, of course) before I'd use just one vial of WLP001 and no starter. Pitching the right amount of yeast goes hand-in-hand with good fermentation temp control. The result = great tasting beer.

Gotta love the STC-1000. Now that you've got this going on, your beers will improve to the next level.

I do believe that the majority of us simply tape that little black temp probe to the side of the bucket/carboy, tape some insulating material (I use bubblewrap) on top of it and read our temps that way. It works quite well.

For the Cali ale yeast (which is Chico strain, same as US-05), lots of folks run that in the 65-66*F range with great results. I'd pitch that at about 64*F and set your STC at 18.5*C (65.3*F). The 0.5*C tolerance will let it top at about 66*F before the fridge kicks in. Run it there for 5 days and then adjust the STC so that you let the beer come up to 68-69*F for the rest of the ferment.

Are you planning on making a starter? Pitching just one vial into 5 gallons of typical gravity wort is not enough yeast. I'd pitch a packet of US-05 (rehydrated, of course) before I'd use just one vial of WLP001 and no starter. Pitching the right amount of yeast goes hand-in-hand with good fermentation temp control. The result = great tasting beer.

I've never used a starter white white labs before. I'm actually building my stir plate as we speak.

This is a lot of good info. I'm going to go pick up some US-05 tomorrow before brewing.

I can't make a starter but I will boil some water and then hydrate the yeast before pitching.

Thanks! :mug:

IMO
I recommend monitoring & controlling the wort temperature. I have great success with compressing the probe against the exterior of my carboy under a piece of closed cell foam.

Start at the low temperature. After a few days of active fermentation slowly allow the temperature to rise a degree a day to the high value for cleanup.

Does the warmer temp spawn more yeast cells?

Does the warmer temp spawn more yeast cells?

To a certain point it can increase their activity level and reproduction. The problem is that, along with that increase, you also can get up into the temperature range where you stress the yeast cells. That causes off-flavors. If it gets high enough, the cells start producing fusel alcohol (which will give you a headache). This is the problem many folks encounter who ferment at typical household room temps.

For ale styles where a clean ferment is desirable, you'll want to pitch/start on the cooler side, keep it there 5 days or so and then slowly raise to encourage the yeast to clean up their normal by-products. Some styles are fermented a bit warmer to get some of the fruity esters some yeasts tend to make at warmer temps.

It gets rather involved, doesn't it? That's part of the challenge of brewing to make the good stuff.:mug:

I agree. I started very cavalier went I went AG but have finally gotten to a point where I am much more conscious about strike/mash/sparge/fermentation temperature.

I can't wait to get my stir plate done so I can really start getting nerdy with this :)

I agree. I started very cavalier went I went AG but have finally gotten to a point where I am much more conscious about strike/mash/sparge/fermentation temperature.

I can't wait to get my stir plate done so I can really start getting nerdy with this :)

Believe it or not, your move to actively control your pitch/ferment temperatures and pitch plenty of yeast will have a greater impact on the quality of your brews than your previous switch from extract to all-grain.

Latest posts

Back