Fridge/Freezer Combo Fermenter/Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metro0308

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

First post so I hope I'm putting this in the correct section.

I'm going to be brewing my first all grain batch in the a few weeks with some guys from work. Since I live in Fl, fermenting in the house really isn't a great idea b/c even with the air cranking my house can get up to the low 80's during the day. I plan on using a GE fridge/freezer combo that I have in the garage to ferment my beer. I'm going to get a digital thermostat control unit to regulate the fridge temp to ensure it stays steady. However, i'd like to double it as a kegerator as well. So my question is, is having the freezer an issue? I know that the cold is created in the freezer and blown into the fridge area. So if I just hook up the thermostat, put the gauge in the fridge and let it go will I have any issues with the freezer?

Any feedback from someone that may have done this or is doing it would be greatly appreciated.

Ive got a single door with a freezer inside. When set to fermentation temps (50F-60F) the freezer never gets cold enough to freeze anything. If I drop it down to lager temps (34F) the freezer works fine. However if you plan to use it as a kegerator it will be off line as a ferment chamber. If the freezer is not important and you and you can maintain steady fermentation temps, I think it would work.

IMG_4419 (533x800).jpg

IMG_4416 (800x533).jpg

So let me ask you this then. The Lowes by me has a small chest freezer that is dented for $50 brand new. It would hold perfectly one 5-10 gallon brew but now much more. Would that be the better route for fermenting and just convert the fridge to a kegerator?

If you got the resources to get another fridge/freezer that would solve your problem. For my needs the fermentation chamber is in use almost constantly especially with lagers, and you will find that once you set up a kegerator, you wont want to shut it down for two or three weeks to ferment. A chest freezer with a temp control will work, but remember you got to lift the carboy in and out. I like having a front opening door. If your thinking of buying, maybe check out Craigs list for something you like better. I you haven't brewed anything yet, you got time on making the kegerator.
Also, if you decide to buy the chest freezer be sure to measure your carboy with the airlock in place to make sure it will fit in entirely. Those freezers have a hump on the floor where the compressor fits. you got to measure from the top of the hump, unless there is enough room for the carboy to sit alongside it. That being said, there are many DIY fermentation builds on HBT if you search around.

Make sense. Right now a fermentation chamber is the most important. I do have a good friend that is a realtor and he comes across fridges every once in a while so I think I'll hold out to get a double door unit and convert it like the thread that was posted above.

Thanks a bunch for the advice!

Back