Freshman at craft beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martijacpbs

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I wanna brew at home my own beer. However the problem is that Im gonna do it for the first time and so, I have been searching some information that I found in Google and some friends advised me too to try the beginners kits.

Basically I have no clue what to do. They told me that a brewing kit for beginners is the best for starting. I just dont like the mainstream beers that are on market and I dont like lager. I was thinking of producing something personal, genuine and as I like it.

So, based on your experience do you also recommend the beer kits?

Beer kits are a good starting point. And don't hate all lagers there are some out there that are great .

Those 1-gallon kits are pretty expensive, if that is what you are considering. The 5 gallon kits are a better deal, and more room for error. You don't need a glass carboy, I use 5-gallon buckets and lids that I get from a local bakery. You can buy the bubble trap, a rubber grommet, the cleaning chemical (star-San) for cheap on several websites or local homebrew/wine supply stores. A length of plastic tubing, start collecting bottles, the list goes on. In the long run, you save a ton of money and you make some fantastic beers.

Palmers book "How To Brew" is an excellent starting point.

This was me ... http://www.howtobrew.com/ ... kits are a nice starting point ... and these are cheap and seem to be well received... http://www.midwestsupplies.com/homebrewing-ingredients/recipe-kits/beer-simply-beer.html ... a one gallon batch is no fun... 5 in a bucket or a carboy with one of those will not take more time and might not cost that much more.

Don't try and complicate things first time out ... keep it simple, keep it clean ... don't stress. People here are super about answering questions and almost everything has been asked before if you search.

Nice saison assuming you have nothing to cool it? ...

... (really you should run the heck away because this rabbit hole is deep and its too much fun...)

I've never used a kit. I grabbed a recipe off the shelf at the closest home brew supply and off I went. I totally Forrest Gumped my way through that batch. Looking back I'm actually surprised it came out somewhat palatable. The more I brewed since then, the more I understood what to do to achieve a certain result.

The Wright brothers knew they wanted to fly, but did not build an F-18 on their first go.

If you don't mind hodge podging pieces together and enjoy sifting through craigslist or watching youtube videos for hours, you can do what I did and just learn and piece things together.

In all fairness, my GF bought me a one gallon kit she found on sale for like 15 bucks, but it was a hunk of junk.

Everything you need can be bought very cheaply piece by piece if you're willing to watch the videos or read the articles/forums on how to build it all yourself. Not to mention, you learn a ton by doing things this way.

Oh, on a side note, if you do do it like I did, specialty malts have little to no fermentables in them lol, you have to have basemalt ;)

You mention that you don't like the mainstream beers that are on the market, but you don't mention what beers you do like. Do you like certain beers and want to make something like them, or do you dislike all of the beers you've tried and you're just hoping that you can make a beer that you will enjoy?

On a basic level, you can make a simple beer from an extract kit with nothing but a pot, a stove, and a bucket for fermenting. There are significant benefits to having other equipment, but if you're not sure if you're going to like homebrewed beer you could just start off with just a brew bucket and an extract recipe kit that sounds appealing, bottle it in old, cleaned out soda bottles when it's ready (so you don't need to worry about caps and a capper) and if you like it, start working your way deeper down the rabbit hole with equipment and techniques.

Hello martijacpbs!
Loads of good info above.

I was going to recommend to do an extract brew the first time as you need not be as aware of the technical stuff to make something drinkable! If you're not keen on lagers, there are lots of stouts, ports, ales, etc. They'll be a bit generic compared to full grain or mini-mash brewing, but they work well and will introduce you to the 'brewing' part of homebrewing.

Also, depending on where you are based (I'm in the UK), the pot is probably the most expensive piece of beginner kit not included in brewing kits (we don't have megastores to the same degree). The bigger the pot, the less hassel.

Those 1-gallon kits are pretty expensive, if that is what you are considering. The 5 gallon kits are a better deal, and more room for error. You don't need a glass carboy, I use 5-gallon buckets and lids that I get from a local bakery. You can buy the bubble trap, a rubber grommet, the cleaning chemical (star-San) for cheap on several websites or local homebrew/wine supply stores. A length of plastic tubing, start collecting bottles, the list goes on. In the long run, you save a ton of money and you make some fantastic beers.

Thank you men, this was an air of reality :mug:

Do you have an specific video that has helped you? I would like to see it. Thanks!

No i just meant in general youtube will be a great asset. I've used to for pretty much every aspect of brewing i've ever had a question about. I would just search 'beginner extract brewing' or something like that

Just my 2 cents here. Due to inflation, virtually worthless.

If you have OCD or just plain enjoy this type of hobby, buy the best all grain brewing starting kit you can afford and a boiling kettle larger than you think you need. Dive into the deep end and learn to swim. It will save you cash in the long run and you can then immediately begin to worry about the expenses of kegging and, eventually, totally upgrading that exotic kit you started with. It is not a hobby, it is an obsession of sorts.

Looking back, I wish I would have done this. I started with a mid-level, extract kit and a 5 gallon SS pot. After the two recipes that came with the kit turned out pretty good, I started doing a little research and realized that I could be brewing all grain for at least a third or less cost.

So, being constrained by equipment I tried BIAB and had great results. Bought some bulk grain and hops and began brewing on a regular basis. All during that time I was buying extra stuff: bags, lab thermometer, flask, SS long handled spoon, extra fermenter, Big Mouth Bubbler, more bottles, caps, bigger bottles, more caps, and so on. BIAB has some great benefits but neatness is not one. For one thing, I was having to re-grind my grist I got in kits to get the efficiency I wanted. Since I brew in my kitchen, it became a real hassle to brew.

I finally bought a cooler style mash tun with a false bottom and could not be happier brewing in my kitchen. It is actually much faster for me than BIAB and a lot less messy. I am as happy as a pig in mud. Had I bought a top end all grain kit and a decent sized boiling kettle to start with I would be money ahead right now. Money I could have spent on ingredients.

Once a good system is in place, only the ingredients and the consumables need to be replaced regularly. Next thing you know, you are paying less that a dollar a beer for stuff you have paid five dollars or more to enjoy. And, best yet, you brewed it yourself.

Do yourself a favor. If you really think you want to do this, start out right. Get good equipment up front. A kit with a bunch of seemingly useless stuff actually has things you will eventually buy. Upgrade that kit when you are buying it. It will save you in freight costs. I wish I had ordered all of my stuff at once. I could have had it sent by truck freight with a one time charge of less than two hundred dollars.

Again, just my two cents. This is an addictive hobby that has great rewards. You will surprise yourself with your ability to brew on-point beers and beer styles. You will finding yourself adjusting beers to your taste and being rewarded with results. Eventually you will brew something special for someone. The look in their eyes will give you all the satisfaction you will ever need. That special, extremely light pilsner they cherish will give you more pride than all of the hoppy IPAs you made for yourself.

After all, it is the style that counts.

If you have OCD or just plain enjoy this type of hobby, buy the best all grain brewing starting kit you can afford and a boiling kettle larger than you think you need. Dive into the deep end and learn to swim. It will save you cash in the long run and you can then immediately begin to worry about the expenses of kegging and, eventually, totally upgrading that exotic kit you started with. It is not a hobby, it is an obsession of sorts.

Looking back, I wish I would have done this. I started with a mid-level, extract kit and a 5 gallon SS pot. After the two recipes that came with the kit turned out pretty good, I started doing a little research and realized that I could be brewing all grain for at least a third or less cost.

So, being constrained by equipment I tried BIAB and had great results. Bought some bulk grain and hops and began brewing on a regular basis. All during that time I was buying extra stuff: bags, lab thermometer, flask, SS long handled spoon, extra fermenter, Big Mouth Bubbler, more bottles, caps, bigger bottles, more caps, and so on. BIAB has some great benefits but neatness is not one. For one thing, I was having to re-grind my grist I got in kits to get the efficiency I wanted. Since I brew in my kitchen, it became a real hassle to brew.

I finally bought a cooler style mash tun with a false bottom and could not be happier brewing in my kitchen. It is actually much faster for me than BIAB and a lot less messy. I am as happy as a pig in mud. Had I bought a top end all grain kit and a decent sized boiling kettle to start with I would be money ahead right now. Money I could have spent on ingredients.

Once a good system is in place, only the ingredients and the consumables need to be replaced regularly. Next thing you know, you are paying less that a dollar a beer for stuff you have paid five dollars or more to enjoy. And, best yet, you brewed it yourself.

Do yourself a favor. If you really think you want to do this, start out right. Get good equipment up front. A kit with a bunch of seemingly useless stuff actually has things you will eventually buy. Upgrade that kit when you are buying it. It will save you in freight costs. I wish I had ordered all of my stuff at once. I could have had it sent by truck freight with a one time charge of less than two hundred dollars.

Again, just my two cents. This is an addictive hobby that has great rewards. You will surprise yourself with your ability to brew on-point beers and beer styles. You will finding yourself adjusting beers to your taste and being rewarded with results. Eventually you will brew something special for someone. The look in their eyes will give you all the satisfaction you will ever need. That special, extremely light pilsner they cherish will give you more pride than all of the hoppy IPAs you made for yourself.

That almost made me cry

Just get a beginner kit with the basic equipment. You'll get a fermenter or 2, airlock, hydrometer, auto-siphon etc that you can use for the years to come if you want. If you ever go all grain - which is great - you will still need the basic equipment.

However, if you wanted to go straight to the deep end. I would suggest with much bias one of the electrlc systems - gas brewing is for the birds. Grainfather, Brew Boss, your own build etc.

And this is someone who never brewed before so all irrelevant in regards to being addicting. He may hate it

Yep, ..thinking way back, I remember watching a friend brew at home on his back patio while we were BBQ'ing. He was chatting, eating, stirring, checking his thermometer, and I didn't totally absorb that he was making some excellent homebrew. At first I thought it was soup or gumbo. Once I realized what was going on, I started paying attention, and realized it was something I wanted to do.

I will second one of the starter kits w/ equipment as posted previously. I'm fairly new, only about 5-6 batches in at this point. But I fell in love almost instantly. So depending on your budget - the 99 dollars for the starting kit is a great deal. I got mine via a friend moving away for free, but I would have gladly spent the 99 dollars.

I believe the extract kits are a good stepping stone for learning the basics. To me Brewing is very similar to the art of cooking. It starts with a passion, followed by learning the basics and generally accepted techniques. I equate it to cooking a restaurant version of hamburger helper out of a box. Its as good as anything you could buy, sometimes even better. Eventually you will want to start learning how to make that dish without the pre-measured ingredients and find your own. But learn to walk before you try to run would be my advice, you'll get there but it's best to develop the fundamentals first.

I do think it would be helpful to try a few commercial craft beers and find a style you enjoy. For instance, try a stout, a brown, an amber, a pale ale, and if you like one of those, you can brew something similar. I know my knowledge about beer and appreciation for different styles shot through the roof once I started brewing.

I do think it would be helpful to try a few commercial craft beers and find a style you enjoy. For instance, try a stout, a brown, an amber, a pale ale, and if you like one of those, you can brew something similar. I know my knowledge about beer and appreciation for different styles shot through the roof once I started brewing.

+1 I agree - I never enjoyed the big 'traditional' beers like Budweiser, Miller, etc. In fact for the longest time, I was convinced I did not really like beer. That was until I found a craft brew that I liked. Finding out there were sweeter/maltier beers that agreed w/ my palate finally got me interested in beer.

There are extract kits for just about every type of beer out there, if you have a favorite, brew a clone of that.

This is where I am right now.

So, being constrained by equipment I tried BIAB and had great results. Bought some bulk grain and hops and began brewing on a regular basis. All during that time I was buying extra stuff: bags, lab thermometer, flask, SS long handled spoon, extra fermenter, Big Mouth Bubbler, more bottles, caps, bigger bottles, more caps, and so on. BIAB has some great benefits but neatness is not one.

This is where I'm going next. I just need a bigger pot. I already have two carboys and a burner. I am accumulating stuff quickly.

If you don't mind hodge podging pieces together and enjoy sifting through craigslist or watching youtube videos for hours, you can do what I did and just learn and piece things together.

In all fairness, my GF bought me a one gallon kit she found on sale for like 15 bucks, but it was a hunk of junk.

Everything you need can be bought very cheaply piece by piece if you're willing to watch the videos or read the articles/forums on how to build it all yourself. Not to mention, you learn a ton by doing things this way.

Oh, on a side note, if you do do it like I did, specialty malts have little to no fermentables in them lol, you have to have basemalt ;)
Tactical-Brewer, basically that is what I've been working, I´ve been buying different things now, some of them also have been donated by my experimented fellows. I have to say that I bought a few days ago this Small Batch Starter Kit, but the result wasn't that good, trying to figurate what I did wrong hahah, but It seems I'm improving on the subject. Thank you so much!

Again, just my two cents. This is an addictive hobby that has great rewards. You will surprise yourself with your ability to brew on-point beers and beer styles. You will finding yourself adjusting beers to your taste and being rewarded with results. Eventually, you will brew something special for someone. The look in their eyes will give you all the satisfaction you will ever need. That special, extremely light pilsner they cherish will give you more pride than all of the hoppy IPAs you made for yourself.

Wow I'm so happy that I found this forum, this an incredibly well-detailed response. I buy this Small Batch Starter Kit, I don't know what I did wrong, because the taste wasn't that good, but I kinda imagine that it was grain quality because basically I followed the instructions really closely. But now I'm convinced that I want to do this, is really an addictive hobby :rockin:

Wow I'm so happy that I found this forum, this an incredibly well-detailed response. I buy this Small Batch Starter Kit, I don't know what I did wrong, because the taste wasn't that good, but I kinda imagine that it was grain quality because basically I followed the instructions really closely. But now I'm convinced that I want to do this, is really an addictive hobby :rockin:

Good luck. Hope you find your nitch. I'm still looking form mine .

Back