Fresh Yeast Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IL1kebeer

Reaction score
Just venting here.

The last 2 times that I went to my LHBS (a reputable one) the yeast that I was going to buy (cal ale) was a month or less away from the best buy date. It is just frustrating to have to make a huge starter or a stepped up starter because I can't get fresh yeast to make a reasonably sized starter. Anyway, just venting.

Just venting here.

The last 2 times that I went to my LHBS (a reputable one) the yeast that I was going to buy (cal ale) was a month or less away from the best buy date. It is just frustrating to have to make a huge starter or a stepped up starter because I can't get fresh yeast to make a reasonably sized starter. Anyway, just venting.

I've had the same issue with my LHBS. Love the place but unfortunately I can order yeast cheaper from MoreBeer and it's usually just a week or two old. In the summer it's a trade off, but in the cooler months it's just a better deal.

I hate to say it but almost the only thing I get from my LHBS is sacks of base grain.

Gameface said:
I've had the same issue with my LHBS. Love the place but unfortunately I can order yeast cheaper from MoreBeer and it's usually just a week or two old. In the summer it's a trade off, but in the cooler months it's just a better deal.

I hate to say it but almost the only thing I get from my LHBS is sacks of base grain.

Yeah I thought about ordering it because I've heard better results when it comes to fresher yeast but I figure I could just buy 2-3 almost expired vials from the LHBS for cheaper. I wish I could just get fresh yeast so that I can save time and money. Harvesting and repitching sounds attractive but that takes a bit of time too.

Yeah I thought about ordering it because I've heard better results when it comes to fresher yeast but I figure I could just buy 2-3 almost expired vials from the LHBS for cheaper. I wish I could just get fresh yeast so that I can save time and money. Harvesting and repitching sounds attractive but that takes a bit of time too.

There was an article on the home page recently about making an extra large starter and just pouring off about 1 pint from it into a mason jar before you cold crash it. I've done that on my last three starters and it's super easy. I avoided the harvesting stuff because there were a lot of steps and I was just paranoid about infecting my yeast. By just adding a little volume to your starter and pouring it into a mason jar it's like a one step process (aside from sanitizing the mason jar).

Here's the article https://www.homebrewtalk.com/entries/yeast-harvesting-novel-approach.html

Gameface said:
There was an article on the home page recently about making an extra large starter and just pouring off about 1 pint from it into a mason jar before you cold crash it. I've done that on my last three starters and it's super easy. I avoided the harvesting stuff because there were a lot of steps and I was just paranoid about infecting my yeast. By just adding a little volume to your starter and pouring it into a mason jar it's like a one step process (aside from sanitizing the mason jar).

Here's the article https://www.homebrewtalk.com/entries/yeast-harvesting-novel-approach.html

Great info. This seems like it will be able to solve my problem easily. Thanks for the link!

IL1kebeer said:

:confused:
You are complaining about the inability of getting fresh yeast but then state you wanted to save money by buying expired vials??? And making a starter takes too much time???

Odd....

duboman said:
You are complaining about the inability of getting fresh yeast but then state you wanted to save money by buying expired vials???

Odd....

Buying 3 expired vials will allow me to make a reasonably sized starter for cheaper than 1 fresh vial

duboman said:
And making a starter takes too much time???

Odd....

Stepping up a starter takes too much time when I work 10 hours a day and have a wife and kid. 1 night is dedicated to the starter. Anther night is dedicated to the next step. Then another day is dedicated to brewing. My wife is Ok with my hobby but that will be overkill for her.

Why post here if you have no good advice to give?

IL1kebeer said:
Buying 3 expired vials will allow me to make a reasonably sized starter for cheaper than 1 fresh vial

Stepping up a starter takes too much time when I work 10 hours a day and have a wife and kid. 1 night is dedicated to the starter. Anther night is dedicated to the next step. Then another day is dedicated to brewing. My wife is Ok with my hobby but that will be overkill for her.

Why post here if you have no good advice to give?

Because your initial post was venting about being able to get fresh yeast and then you went in another direction, duh.....

If that's what works for you fine, I work 16 hour days and have 3 kids and still have time to buy fresh yeast and make starters so I'm not really following you logic here at all.... Still :confused:

I really can't imagine that buying old yeast and DME and stepping up starters is saving you money in the long run anyways.

I wasn't trying o be an a$$hat, I just didn't really understand where you were coming from, it's all good dude;) we're all making beer :D

Back