Fresh Squeezed IPA (Deschutes Inspired)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Deschutes does use English Ale yeast for some of their other beers (Black Butte, Hop Henge, Jubelale, probably others).

Not some, but almost all. It's their house yeast. Fresh Squeezed is literally the only recipe on that link using American Ale yeast. Other than that, unless it's a Belgian or a lager, it's English.

Thanks for all the clarification on the yeast.

I am going to give this a shot, but with some modification. I am going to try sticking closer to the original. I ordered some great western 2 row, since I know they use that in mirror pond. I also ordered some great western crystal 75. I will mash a little higher to increase the FG. Other than that, I am going to keep the malt ratios and hop schedule the same. I really like the original Fresh Squeezed and I tend to prefer sweeter IPAs in the colder months, so I am really looking forward to this.

So I brewed the recipe on the first page, but I used caramel 75, and I didn't use any wheat just like the Deschutes web site shows. I also used a tad less than 3oz of Citra for the dry hop, because I just dumped in what I had left. Mash temp was a little low, so it fermented a little lower than planned. It's a good beer, but it's not quite Fresh Squeezed which the OP mentioned. For anyone wanting a true clone, I think a little less on the first addition, perhaps a tad more mosaic, and a higher mash and things would be getting pretty darn close. I should have paid closer attention to what the AA was on the Mosaic hops I got, because it was pretty overshadowed by the Citra, at least more so than what I taste in Fresh Squeezed.

Anyhow, thanks to the OP. It may not quite be Fresh Squeezed, but it's still a darn good beer.

I dropped the one ounce of Nugget at FWH to 0.8oz or so - and the IBU's dropped off to 58ish - I'll be brewing this within a week or two so I'll tell you how it tastes.

Just tried to get the grain bill for this but cant find enough citra hops without paying the equivalent of $10/ounce on line shipped. Ouch.

Have you tried Farmhouse Brewing Supply? 4oz shipped to Poplar Grove for $8. 1 lb for less than $30.

Just tried to get the grain bill for this but cant find enough citra hops without paying the equivalent of $10/ounce on line shipped. Ouch.

I bought a whole pound of Citra at Hops Direct for $21 and change.

I've tested this against the real thing and it's spot on so feel free to know ur getting darn close to the real thing with this recipe. I've made it 3 times and it's always a crowd pleaser.

I've tested this against the real thing and it's spot on so feel free to know ur getting darn close to the real thing with this recipe. I've made it 3 times and it's always a crowd pleaser.

Same recipe as post 1 of this thread??

I've got my kitchen torn all to pieces but as soon as I can, I'm going to brew this one

Same recipe as post 1 of this thread??

I've got my kitchen torn all to pieces but as soon as I can, I'm going to brew this one

I've read this whole thread a couple of times. Nobody's found a better formula than what's in the first post.

What were the alpha acids for your hops? How about your water profile?

I did a direct comparison too, used the exact same hop schedule from the first post, and the hop flavor is not the same. Mine was a darn good beer, received tons of compliments, but it was not Fresh Squeezed, so I am curious what was different in yours to get you closer to the Fresh Squeezed taste.

I did a direct comparison too, used the exact same hop schedule from the first post, and the hop flavor is not the same. Mine was a darn good beer, received tons of compliments, but it was not Fresh Squeezed, so I am curious what was different in yours to get you closer to the Fresh Squeezed taste.

A few things I do know but did not include in the process (this is a Deschutes-inspired, not a true clone):
1) Deschutes mashes higher, maybe 156, you can tell by the residual sweetness
2) Deschutes does not use wheat. I only use it in my recipes for awesome head retention
3) Deschutes uses CC-75, I use 60.

Hope that helps.

So mosaic only for the flavor addition? A friend of mine loves Fresh Squeezed and begged me to clone it since Deschutes does not distribute in Oklahoma.

So mosaic only for the flavor addition? A friend of mine loves Fresh Squeezed and begged me to clone it since Deschutes does not distribute in Oklahoma.

In short, Yes. Mosaic complements Citra in more of a 1:2 ratio. You just need a neutral bittering hop. I've used Magnum, Nugget and Bravo all with great success.

Without dreading through this entire thread...is there an extract equivalent or close for this?

I just use bottled spring water and I believe the citra hops were aa 12.5 and the mosaic was 8.5. I'll prob next batch drop the c60 to 1lb and then put the extra .5lbs into the two row as the real one was lighter in color and I may mash at 154 as the real thing was a little sweeter. It's my personal preference but I like my ipas drier to let the hops shine through more so I may leave the mash in at 152.

I brewed this a month ago.Was ready to keg and realized I needed to dry hop for 5 days.I sampled it while dry hopping and will say this tastes AWESOME.Most likely will become my house brew. They don't sell this in my state as was told by my brother it was his favorite beer.Thanks for the recipe!

I brewed this a month ago.Was ready to keg and realized I needed to dry hop for 5 days.I sampled it while dry hopping and will say this tastes AWESOME.Most likely will become my house brew. They don't sell this in my state as was told by my brother it was his favorite beer.Thanks for the recipe!

It is a solid beer there's no doubt. I believe homebrew can turn out better. As I always say; it's easy to make killer ipa's!

I'm excited to try this one out! It seemed to me to be less than the 60ibus it's reported to be. But maybe that's because of the crystal and because of the lack of harsh bitterness in citra and mosaic?

I'm excited to try this one out! It seemed to me to be less than the 60ibus it's reported to be. But maybe that's because of the crystal and because of the lack of harsh bitterness in citra and mosaic?

IBU's are strictly determined by the hops and their AAU's in relation to when they are added to the boil. Grain has nothing to do with this. When I originally made this recipe, I plugged in the AAU's of the hops I had available at the time of brewing. Hop AAU's will vary. I wouldn't get too caught up in the IBU's of the beer for consistency, just brew it. If you're a 5 points off in either direction, don't sweat it. First wort hopping always makes it appear less than it should be also. Relax and brew it. If you like it, great! If not, well I don't know what to say ... :cross:

Here's a 5 gallon recipe with 7 gallons to start the boil, 5.5 to ferment, 5 to keg or bottle with:

Title: Fresh Squeezed IPA

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.050
Efficiency: 72% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.063
Final Gravity: 1.010
ABV (standard): 7.08%
IBU (tinseth): 55.37
SRM (morey): 9.01

FERMENTABLES:
11 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (83%)
1 lb - American - Munich - Light 10L (7.5%)
0.75 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 60L (5.7%)
0.5 lb - American - Wheat (3.8%)

HOPS:
0.5 oz - Nugget, Type: Pellet, AA: 14, Use: First Wort, IBU: 14.67
1 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 18.89
1 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.7, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 21.81
1 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 0 min
1 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (custom): 85%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 59 - 75 F
Fermentation Temp: 68 F
Pitch Rate: 0.75 (M cells / ml / deg P)

NOTES:
Target Mash Temp: 152*

Just wondering you had the BSM/brewsheet for this somewhere? Makes it quicker to adapt to metric/my brew setup (that and i share with some beginner AG people who will ask what mash profile/type etc too).

Can't wait to try it out.

Cheers!

Last edited:
IBU's are strictly determined by the hops and their AAU's in relation to when they are added to the boil. Grain has nothing to do with this. When I originally made this recipe, I plugged in the AAU's of the hops I had available at the time of brewing. Hop AAU's will vary. I wouldn't get too caught up in the IBU's of the beer for consistency, just brew it. If you're a 5 points off in either direction, don't sweat it. First wort hopping always makes it appear less than it should be also. Relax and brew it. If you like it, great! If not, well I don't know what to say ... :cross:

Doesn't a sweeter beer with the same IBUs as a very dry beer come across as less bitter?

Don't some hops come across as harsher than others? I thought it was related to cohumulone levels but it might be something else. Cascade has 33-40% cohumulone whereas citra has only 20-24%.

I've now brewed two batches of this, a partial mash and most recently a BIAB all-grain version. Both turned out awesome. As is noted earlier in this thread, Deschutes mashes a bit higher. I mashed my BIAB batch at 152 and it's a tad drier and less sweet than the real thing. It's also almost 1% higher in alcohol content. The extra alcohol isn't really noticeable, but the sweetness is. It would be easy enough to remedy by mashing higher if you want, but it's good either way. I'm entering my latest batch in a local homebrew competition this weekend. :mug:

Brewed this on Friday. Used Patagonia Pale malt and Patagonia crystal 75. Super excited to see how it turns out :)

My latest batch of this took 2nd place Judges' Choice at a local brewfest this past weekend. Several people who tried it said it was very close to the real thing. I'll definitely keep this in my rotation. For the next batch, I'm thinking of pitching the Conan yeast to see how it complements the citrusy hops.

What are you all doing for the dry hop schedule?

I did 5 days with an ounce of Citra leaf hops at room temp. Then cold crashed at 37 degrees for a week with the dry hops still in there. Not sure how much if any extra benefit you get from the dry hops at cold temps, but I didn't get any negative effects. Actually, it worked well because the leaf hops all dropped to the bottom and then served as a filter to keep my siphon from sucking up the yeast cake when I racked to the bottling bucket. The leafs didn't clog the siphon at all.

Brewed this on 5/24, force carbed last night at 30 PSI, rocked it for 10 minutes, berped it, and then set the PSI to around 10. This was my second pour. Absolutely delicious. OG was 1.064, FG was 1.010. Extremely happy with the results, one of my favorite brews.

Thanks!

2015-06-09.jpg

Glad you like it! It's definitely one of my favorite IPA's. I've been tinkering around with the recipe a bit. The last 10g batch I made, I added .5 oz of nugget at 60, in addition to the FWH, for a bigger mouth punch. Curious to see how it turns out.

Thanks for this recipe plankbr! I've brewed this twice now with slight tweaks. I don't often have Munich in stock but I love Vienna so I replaced the 7.5% munich with 25% vienna, and used British C-75. For late hop additions I went all 50:50 citra/mosaic, for equivalent of 5 gal batch 1 oz each at 15, 1.5 oz each at flameout, and 1.5 oz each dry hop. This is my husband's favorite commercial beer and I warned him it was more FS inspired than a clone, especially with the vienna. He loves it and without a side by side comparison thought it was spot on. I do think the characteristic hop presence kinda masks the variations in grainbill. I tried to mash and finish a little higher, got 1.070 and 1.014 both times. Gotta put in another farmhouse order now as I've been mandated to keep this one on tap.
:mug:

Back