Fresh Pumpkin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Used canned pumpkin. Roast it in the oven for a while in a baking dish or so. How much and what you add is up to you. I am sure the possibilities are endless.

If you want fresh pumpkin for a beer to enjoy in fall, why not prepare some and freeze it so you can have it on hand in July/August of the following year when you are ready to brew.

Or just have a pumpkin ale in November. There's no law against that.

Sweet potatoes also give a fantastic flavor. I find it richer than pumpkin, even when you roast the hell out of the pumpkin.

Depends on when you plant. I had ripe pumpkins by early July, the problem is the growers grow them for a fall harvest for Halloween and the Holidays.

Sweet potatoes also give a fantastic flavor. I find it richer than pumpkin, even when you roast the hell out of the pumpkin.

Do you have to do anything special with the sweet potatoes (i.e. mash them), or can you simply use them exactly as you would use pumpkin?

I roast them in chunks and try to get some carmelization. I do the same with pumpkin. Canned pumpkin can be spread on a cookie sheet and then roast the hell out. I then mix it into my mash (often I just addit to the water so I know I will hit my temps)

I guess I should grow some pumpkins next year......

I think I germinated the seeds indoors before putting them out though. I would recommend that because the ground may still be too cool in spring. I was anxious to get them started and thought the longer the season the bigger they would get and the more I would have but all it got was pumpkins in July.

It was odd having all these pumpkins around in July. :D

Back