First pyment experience

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimPilot

Reaction score
Please allow me to share my first experience of making a pyment.

Pic1.jpeg

Local farmers market was selling white seedless grapes for 1 bag for $1. So I got 20 bags.

Pic2.jpeg

It took over a hour to remove stems and remove each grape. Outcome was 50Lb of grapes. One full bucket!

Then I decided to get creative. Took a 1.5L bottle, filled it with water and started smashing grapes. After a hour, I've added 2ts pectic enzymes and left over night.

Next day, I fed entire content of the bucket into a meat grinder while collecting skins into strain bag.

pic3.jpeg

This method produced about 4.5 gallons of grape juice @ 1080 gravity.
Then I mixed 1 gallon of water with ~5 pounds of orange blossom honey for total gravity of about 1.1

pic4.jpeg

Preparing yeast.

11 grams of GoFerm mixed with hot water. 2 x 71B yeast packets mixed when temperature cooled to 40C.
Then pitched yeast after temp reached same level. Threw bag with grape skins into the bucket as well for good measure.

gif1.gif

Yeast went into over drive! This gif isn't sped up. It was like this for 3 days straight. I had to clear out vent twice a day.

pic5.jpeg

Each day I tried to remove this "goo" while degassing twice a day.

pic6.jpeg

In the morning fermentor shows 76F. I would point a large fan at the bucket and temperature drops to 74F.
Here's the daily gravity progress;
23rd evening - 1.1
24nd morning - 1085 @ 76F
evening - 1065 @ 74F
25th morning - 1050 @ 76F
evening - 1035 @ 74F
26th morning - 1025 @ 76F
evening - >1020 (slightly below) @ 74F
27th Mid-day - 1005 @ 75F
28th Mid-day 0999? @ 76F

pic7.jpeg

And this is today. 5 days later. Completely dry. taste sour (which I like).

I've removed bag with skins. This bucket will sit in the basement for probably 2-3 weeks to get yeast to drop / die. Then I'll move to secondary while splitting batch in half - one will get backsweetened. Another ...maybe I'll add more fresh grape juice.

Congratulations on your first pyment! It looks like things are going along well. De-stemming all of those grapes must have been quite a task!

If you backsweeten, or add more fresh grape juice, be sure to stabilize the pyment first. This is a good safety measure to take, because you're literally adding sugar in the former, and possibly adding sugar and natural yeasts in the latter. If the fresh grape juice is literally crushed up grapes, the yeasts on the skins will definitely go into the pyment. Be wary of fermentation restarting, or starting anew.

be sure to stabilize the pyment first

I'm thinking of stabilizing it by pasteurization while back-sweetening it (fresh grapes turned into juice with honey...maybe 1.010ish). I have two glass gallons jugs that are perfect to cold crash them after as well. Now I need play with batchBlender to figureout volume/sugar requirement.

Small update.

I've squeezed 1 L of grape juice (1060) out of fresh grapes and mixed with 3L of pyment (.995). That makes mix to 1.01 about 12ish? abv.

Then I took 1 gallon carboy. Placed it into a tall pot full of water and heated up everything to 140-150F for 30 minutes. Don't worry, cap was not screwed on!
Clipboard01.jpg

Never pasteurized before so didn't knew what to expect. Yeast and bubbles floated on top. Created this dead yeast cake on top which was easy to remove. Now carboy sitting inside a refrigerator to "cold crash".

I've bottled this batch on 16 Sep as a mix of 3L of original and 1L of crushed grapes turned into juice. Checked today - it developed nice little wine crystals. Neat!

Attachments

• crystals.jpg
    crystals.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 11
three.jpg

I haven't tried yet. I think it will need some time to age.

Batch was split into three;
1) Squeezed grapes + honey fermented to dry. (very small wine crystals) Produced 5 x 1.75L bottles w/ 14% ABV
2) Batch one mixed with squeezed grapes juice pasteurized ( big wine crystals). Produced 5 x 750ml bottles
3) Batch one mixed with honey - ei back sweetened. Produced 14 x 750ml bottles.

Back