Freon hose leak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pillsburyjoboy

Reaction score
I was trying to mod a mini fridge to make kegerator for a buddy. In the process of bending down the freezer section I pinched the freon line. It is at the end of the hose but dumped a lot of gas. Is there an easy fix for this? I cut power and tried to quickly seal it, but am unsure of the effectiveness of this attempt. I don't want to buy him a new fridge so any help would be hugely appreciated. I will plug it in again tomorrow and see if the sealing job worked. Fingers crossed!!

Thanks,
Pills

Tough luck man, sadly it's cheaper to buy a new fridge. Do yourself a favour and get a fridge only one so you don't have to bend the freezer down

Will all of the freon leak out even if the motor is not running? Is it worth trying to patch, or no?

Will all of the freon leak out even if the motor is not running? Is it worth trying to patch, or no?

No, because it's almost impossible to fix, and not cheap to replace the coolant.

If you have a "small leak", it's probably all gone.

You can plug it in, and see if it gets cold. If it does, it's ok for now. If it doesn't, then it's because the coolant is gone.

Does anyone know how much refilling freon is. I have a 1940s fridge and when moving it I accidently busted the freon line. I really want to save the fridge.

Back