French bread baguettes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FireBrewer

Assistant Brewer
Reaction score
Made some baguettes today. Started last night making the preferment, just finished. Got the recipe and technique from The Bread Baker's Apprentice.

Fairly easy to make. The pizza stone we have isn't big enough, so I had the curl the ends on one or two a little. :eek: But it is goooooooooood! Need to get a bigger baking stone!

IMG_1219.jpg

IMG_1224.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got that book from the library yesterday. Hoping its going to take my bread making to a new level. Of course I already forgot to make the pre-ferment yesterday for the bread I wanted with dinner today. Next time...

Those look so delicious!

I just got that book from the library yesterday. Hoping its going to take my bread making to a new level.

It's a great book!

They're already half gone! SWMBO and the kids have been killing 'em (little help from me of course ;) )

Preferment
1-1/8 C unbleached all-purpose flour
1-1/8 C unbleached bread flour
3/4 t salt
1/2 t instant yeast
1 C water

Recipe
3 C preferment (above)
1-1/4 C unbleached all-purpose flour
1-1/4 C unbleached bread flour
3/4 t salt
1/2 t instant yeast
1 C water

For preferment, mix, knead for 5 minutes. Spray a large bowl with oil, add dough ball, cover and let rise 1 hour. Remove dough, degas, and return to bowl. Cover and place in fridge overnight.

Next day: remove one hour before making second dough. Cut into 10 pieces to aid warming. Cover bowl and let sit for one hour.

Mix ingredients for second dough and add preferment. Knead for 10 minutes. Place in oiled bowl and cover, let rise 2 hours.

Transfer dough from bowl and cut into 3 equal pieces. Shape into baguettes. Proof for 1 hour.

Heat oven to 500° with a baking stone inside. Place a steam pan inside. Transfer baguettes to baking stone. Pour one cup hot water into steam pan and close door. Lower oven to 450° and bake 10 minutes. Rotate loaves 180° then bake 15-20 minutes or until inside registers 205° and the crust is golden brown. Remove from oven and cool on a rack for 30 minutes.

Slice and enjoy!

You can make a couche simply by making folds in a (non-fuzzy) cotton towel that has been impregnated with raw flour. Rub the flour in really well. Start with the far end of the towel, hold it up against the backsplash up the wall about 3", on the counter. Lay the first unrisen loaf on the towel and then loosely make a 'rib' again about 3" high and then lay the next loaf down so that it is against the other loaf with a 'rib' of cloth between. When you get to the close end of the towel just place a board and something heavy against the front edge.

I hope this is clear enough. The shape of it is similar to a hard couche, or the design anyway. You just cover them with another floured towel and when they have risen you can carefully roll them using the towel by lifting up and toward you behind the loaf right onto the peel.

I hope this is clear enough. The shape of it is similar to a hard couche, or the design anyway. You just cover them with another floured towel and when they have risen you can carefully roll them using the towel by lifting up and toward you behind the loaf right onto the peel.

Thanks! I did read something similar to that...only had one towel in the house that wasn't terrycloth. :drunk: Worked well though. :)

Not baguettes this time, just a multigrain loaf. Simple to make, taste is phenomenal! Best sandwich bread I've ever had...soft crumb, delicious crust. Gonna make some french toast with it for my oldest and me, then use it for lunch! :rockin:

IMG_1230.jpg

IMG_1231.jpg

IMG_1232.jpg

Back