Freezing wort for yeast starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grrickar

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone else has done this and what the outcome was...

Starting to brew AG, and wondering if I can take the last of the runnings from the mash and drain into sanitized 1L bottles and freeze them to use as starters later?

Thinking I could thaw them with the cap on, then boil again just to be sure (or should I skip this step?) and maybe add a bit of yeast nutrient. To me it beats having to mix and boil up some DME everytime I need a starter.

In the lab we probably wouldn't do it that way but then again plain jane wort isn't exactly specifically formulated selective media. I would even *gasp* just blast the frozen block in the microwave for a while. Though it seems the official HBT position on this would to be can it instead of freeze it if you have that ability/equipment

I've often seen people mention canning wort, but have never seen anything more than just a mention. Water bath? Pressure? Processing time?

I was just thinking this today as I had an extra 2 quarts of second runnings. I measured it out at about 1.024, which seems a bit thin for a starter, or is it? I'll be boiling it because i'm pretty sure it's not sanitary, so maybe boil it down some to raise the gravity.

The canning you are thinking of is done in a pressure cooker. The wart will last indefinatly after pressure cooking and will not need to be reheated (pasturised) to use.
If freezing I would boil before reuse.
Remember you are stepping, introduce a bug early and you are stepping them up as well.

I freeze starter wort and have had no problems. My method is brew a 1.040 batch, measure out 1.8L servings into gallon zip-locks and freeze.
When ready to brew, I pull out the smack pack and allow to come to room temp.
While that is warming, I melt the wort in a pot on the stove, bring to a boil to sanitize (using a lid so the lid is sanitized too) while my flask is sanitizing in the oven with foil over the mouth.
Pull the pot off the stove and set on the granite counter top to cool. Pull the flask out and allow to cool.
While the wort is cooling, smack the pack and allow to swell.
When the wort is at room temp, add to the flask, oxygenate, and pitch yeast.

Back