Freezing water in ZipLocks to cool wort.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shauntraxler

Reaction score
So I froze an entire gallon of spring water in a sanitized zip lock bag today. When I finished my boil, I poured the boiling wort over the gallon ice block. No problems here.

However, upon inspecting the Zippy after the fact, I noticed a problem. From the way the bag was sitting when it froze, it formed crevices where the bag actually lodged up into the ice block. Upon trying to release the ice into the fermenter, I tore the bag and, I'm guessing, left a small piece of plastic inside the block!

I looked as best I could in the cooling wort but couldn't find it. I mean, it's out of my hands at this point but we'll see what a tiny chunk of zip-lock can do to a brew!

Ziploc bags are food grade and you sanitized it first so that's no problem. Just strain it with cheese cloth our a paint strainer when you transfer to keg/bottling bucket. You should be fine.

It'll be just fine. I also wouldn't strain, you risk oxidation depending on how you strain.

I tried frozen water for the first time in my last batch. I just threw two jugs in the freezer, sanitized them, and cut the plastic open with a sanitized knife. This wheat beer has been fermenting for the past 10 days. So, I don't have a review on the results as of yet. Keep us posted on the results of your ice bag trick.

I've heard of some using sanitized zip-lock containers for this. Nice wide mouth to get the ice out of.

I appreciate all the advice. lol. Some lucky kat (likely me) will get to ingest a small piece of Zip-Lock!

Woo-Hoo!

What is the latest opinions on hot side aeration?

Regardless of the debate, I would still get the wort below 100 F before pouring it over the ice.

I use really cold sanitized water (i.e. 33º).

Remember that this is not nearly as effective as using ice. 32 degree ice has much less heat energy than 32 degree water and will chill wort far better.

I do the frozen ziplock bag trick, I do 2 things.

1. I do not pour the wort over the ice, I add the ice blocks directly to the boil kettle to cool it.

2. I remove the bags by soaking the block of ice in my starsan bucket for a few seconds. The bag is then easily removed.

Back