Freezing Star San concentrate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MistaCitra

Reaction score
good afternoon fellas

Has any one had there Star San concentrate freeze? I ordered some but it resides on the truck until Tuesday. Temps will be 0 deg F or lower the next couple days and I’m concerned about the Star San rupturing or becoming un-useful upon receiving.

Cheers!:yes:

MSDS lists it as 50% Phosphoric Acid. Should freeze at about -40 F (or C).

Edit: Just looked at MSDS again - it appears to be 50% of 75% phosphoric acid, so about 35% pure acid. This should freeze at less than 14 F (-10 C).

Last edited:
There's nothing that could happen for your StarSan during the transit as far as the bottle remains intact. If you have some yeast in transit, the temperature could be more critical.

Starsan is far more dense that water. It will not freeze.

Well everyone starsan doesn’t freeze... well it does but at an extremely low temperature. When I received and opened the package I noticed some slight slush in the solution. The temperature while sitting on the truck at fedex was below zero on the day of delivery it was -10deg F. It sat in the truck at fedex facility for a total of 3 Days. Thanks everyone for the replies, cheers. :cask:

Back