Freezer score, maybe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beernik

Reaction score
My neighbor and I got home at the same time today. We share a driveway and our garages are next to each other.

I noticed an old freezer in the back of his garage and thought "I've lived next to him for 11 years. I've never seen him use that freezer." So I asked him if it worked and if he was using it.

He said it works but he doesn't use it anymore. Its been sitting unplugged in there for years and if I wanted it I could take it. He had been meaning to haul it off to the landfill but never got around to it.

So this evening I'll be moving it to my garage and checking to see if it really does still work. If so, I'll be ordering a controller this weekend. If not, I'll haul it off for him.

He just came over and demanded that I take it now. It works. I have a thermometer in there testing the temperature.

Sounds like he's demanding... I wonder if he'll want you take away all his other junk he's left around for 11 years ;)

Mine is an ancient 14.5 cubic ft MONSTER.

It runs like a champ and is one of the loves of my life.

$50 more than you paid, but a steal none the less.

Sounds like he's demanding... I wonder if he'll want you take away all his other junk he's left around for 11 years ;)

I help him out a lot. He's 65 and had a heart attack last year. He lives in the house with his 74 and 82 year old sisters.

It's not a chest freezer. It's an upright. I haven't done any measuring yet, but I think I can easily modify two of the shelves with the coils in them and be okay.

If that doesn't work, I have a massive chest freezer in the basement. That I can modify. I'll just have to carry everything up from the basement.

Thanks for the link, but I like the idea of having a controller with a probe and an easy way to set exact temperatures. Also, the garages are unheated, uninsulated detached garages. I'll be using the controller to heat more than to cool over the next 6 months.

I think I can do a little better than this with more time. But it works. I'm testing it with 5 gallons of water

(For some reason HBT rotates half of my pictures.)

image.jpg

Don't feel bad. It works both ways.

As the owner of a 75 year old house, his knowledge of my house has been invaluable. Other than a decade, he's lived in his house his whole life. He was literally born in his house.

It was more frequent when we first moved it, but I'm always pestering him with questions like:
"Where is the water shutoff?"
"Are you sure all the galvanized pipe was replaced?"
"I know this is a false wall and something is inside it. What is it?"
"How old is the water heater?"
"If I get a floor drain backing up here but not there and when I run this but not that, where is my clogged pipe and the nearest place I can access it?"

He also knows I work for beer. Like this spring I pruned a tree for him. He bought me a six pack of craft beer and I got to keep the wood for my fireplace.

Back