Freezer hinge question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TacoBrew

Reaction score
How do I get this top plastic piece off? I keep trying to pull the sides but it feels like it is going to break. This is a GE 7 cf from Home Depot.
ForumRunner_20130716_164223.png

The top portion of the hinge might just be "stud mounted", and just pressed into an insert in the lid.

You MIGHT be able to slip a screwdriver under each edge , and lift the whole thing up from the lid.

Just a guess though.........YMMV.

I have that same fridge; I'm not sure it comes off. Why do you need to get it off? If you're detaching the lid to make a collar, why don't you just keep the hinge attached to the lid and bolt the lower half to the collar?

There may be a little tab at the very top that catches on the bracket mounted on the lid and I would think that there are slots cut out for the piviot pin and that it slides straight up.
I found an extra set of hinges for my Kenmore freezer. Both my lid and collar open. Makes life much easier.

Thanks, that worked. It just required a lot more force than I expected. Had to use a screwdriver to pry it out. Also, it didn't seem like there was a hole that I could put a nail through when the lid was shut, so I just shoved two screens criss-crossed behind the spring. That seems to work.

Back