Freezer Hinge Holding Weight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jburton1103

Reaction score
As I hate polluted threading, I really hope this isn't answered somewhere else. I have built my 7 tap keezer out of a 13(12.9)c.u. ft Fridigaire Freezer.

The inner collar is made up of 2x8's and the outer collar is 1x10's.
4 bolts on each of the front three sides.
And then some light paneling on top of both of the collars.
The woods are lighter weight woods. Whitewood and something else (similar to pine), not oak or anything.

I want to double hinge. Since I did not know which route I was going to go, the build process included both possibilities. This build uses no caulking or adhesive on the freezer itself. The space between the inner collar and the freezer is sealed with redundant weather stripping, and the lid sits flush nicely to the top of the paneling.

My question is, how much weight can my freezer hinges hold? I've seen hinging in a way so that the collar lifts up as well, but they were on smaller 8 or so c.u. ft freezers. I'm hoping someone on here has double hinged with this size freezer.

Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions. Here is a photo of where I'm at in this build. The lid is still lose and awaiting my decision :p

Dorothy.jpg

Dorothy Open.jpg

I have to say I'm envious of your 7 tap keezer, and wish I was there with you to do a complete test when you get this finished!!

My keezer is single hinged and I can't imagine any reason to double hinge the lid - especially with your massive collar. Something you might consider if you can still make changes. I'd suggest you add a fan that comes on with the compressor to the interior. With a collar as large as you have, you'll likely see quite a bit of temperature variance between the top and bottom of the inside of your keezer unless you're moving the cold air around inside.

Thank you for your kind words. This is my first ever wood working project so it's nice to hear I'm doing something right.

As for the hinging, I'd simply like to double hinge. I don't have any issues doing so, I was just wondering if my hinges would support the load. The last thing I want is to test it, open it up, and then have the collar crash down on my freezer.

And I will definitely look into getting a fan installed since I did notice this temperature variance when testing the temp controller.

I have an 8.8 cf freezer with collar on a double hinge. The lower hinges will function properly except that the spring counter balance will not support the weight of the lid and collar. I had to build a prop rod to hold it open. It's not a problem as most of the time I am only opening the freezer lid to add/remove bottles. I only have to raise the collar when changing kegs.

You should know that wood is not a very good insulator. You could save yourself a lot of weight and also insulate a lot better if you remove the inside boards and replace with some rigid pink insulation, and then cover the insulation with some foil tape for protection from dings. But it's probably too late for that.

Anyway...in answer to your question...just do what I did and re-install the original hinges on the bottom and then lift the collar and lid and see if your hinges hold up. If they don't, then you'll know that you'll need something else to hold up the lid and collar.

I didn't even think of a prop rod, that will be my only reason for raising the collar as well.

And I will try attaching the hinges today.

And yes, I know the wood isn't a good insulator but I was trying my hardest to not break the bank. I have insulation boards that are not yet installed, they will be placed inside the sealed 2x8's. I was just waiting till I was finished with the outer collar / paneling wood stain and poly.

Thanks you guys!

You could make a prop rod, or another possibility is installing some automotive "support lifts" - the things that keep a rear window up when you're removing stuff from the back of an SUV.

How often will you change your kegs (when you have seven!!!!)?
If not very often just save yourself the trouble and use a broom handle. Really, we are talking about 60 seconds you need to lift the door. The time and energy to install a post.... debatable amounts of satisfaction.

I have a similiar keezer, a bit smaller. The hinge I have is super heavy duty. I am barely able to move it with my own hands. For the rare times I will use it... it can deal with the weight.

Your rig looks very nice.
When are you hosting a HBT forum get together?
My calendar has some available dates.

I will most likely use something like a broom stick. I just do want to be able to open up the collar for keg swaps.

And thanks, its been a fun and fully educational project. Literally learned everything i had to do in the last few months haha
Cheers!

Back