Freezer Gets Cold But Refrigerator Does Not

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcurtis431

Reaction score
I just purchased a used GE refrigerator to be converted into a kegerator. This is a freezer on top style unit. The freezer appears to be working pretty well (18 degrees F), however the refrigerator will not get below 45F. I was wondering if there is a way to modify the refrigerator to divert more air from the freezer in hopes to dropping the temp in the refrigerator section? I defrosted the freezer so I do not suspect its a frost issue. I am sure there are parts you can replace, but I don't intend on putting any additional money into an old, used refrigerator.

Any suggestions that wont require spending a bunch of $$$?

The evaporator fan in the freezer usually provides air flow for both the freezer and the refrigerator. There is usually a louver of some sort that controls the amount of airflow into the fridge compartment. The louver is usually controlled by the fridge compartment controller. Maybe the louver is stuck or disconnected from the controller.

Is the refrigerator empty? If empty put some stuff in that is not critical for it to be kept cold and see if that helps.

Back