Freezer burned berries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morbeer

Reaction score
Well, I thawed out the blackberries from last year and I think they are freezer burnt. Are they worth using? Or should I throw them out and start again?

i would taste one and use if good. i was at kroger the other day and blackberries were $5.00 for a 5 oz. package. :mug:

i would taste one and use if good. i was at kroger the other day and blackberries were $5.00 for a 5 oz. package. :mug:

Damn! Right now they are growing like crazy in the woods. I was picking and eating on a hike a few weeks ago. Probably about $10 worth!

Anyhoo, freezerburn is just dehydration (frozen foods will sublimate in the freezer, which just means the frozen water in them will turn to gas and evaporate without going into liquid state first). Dehydrated foods theoretically taste just fine when re-hydrated.

However, your berries got the freezerburn because they were not sealed in an airtight container. So, they might have picked up nasty flavors from other unsealed containers in your freezer.

I second the idea of just trying a few of them and, if the taste good, use them.

Just tasted them. They taste fine. I'm gonna give it a shot. I'll probably throw in some fresh blackberries, raspberries and chokecherries in too. Thanks.

Lets see I got 292 lbs of Blackberries from a Farmer at 5 oz for 5.00 that comes to $4,672.00...I am rich I am rich...

Back