Freeze worth to use for starter???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toto's

Reaction score
Hello,
I just finished my DME doing my starter today. Instead of ordering some more DMA or do a mini brew for the starter, could we preserve let's say 1 liter from the pre-boil when we brew a beer and freeze it? So we could defrost and use to do a starter?

If you have a pressure canner you can can wort just like you would tomatoes ... there are plenty of howto's on canning wort. I tried it a couple months ago and have made several starters from my canned wort without any issues.

I freeze extra wort almost every time I brew for future starters. As @chessking said, once you thaw it out you need to boil it to sanitize then cool before adding yeast. I get most of my starter wort as second runnings from my BIAB process. Once I finish mashing and running my wort off into the boil kettle I put the bag in a pot with a half gallon or so of hot water, squish it around good and let it sit while I boil. Later when it is cool I squeeze two quarts or so of wort out and check the gravity. If the gravity is good it goes into bottles to freeze. If it's to high it can be diluted with clean water. If its too low to make good starter I boil it down on the stove until it gets in the 1.040 range. Once cooled, the wort goes into cleaned PET soda bottles and into the freezer. Be sure to leave pretty good head room in the bottles or when the wort freezes and expands it will seep out and you will get sticky syrup residue all over other stuff in your freezer.

I like the idea of canning wort but I'm too cheap to go and buy a pressure canner.

Canning has all the work of sanitation up front, and on starter day, you simply open the container.
Freezing has the work of sanitizing at the end. Kind of six of one, half dozen of the other.

I go a third way, and wash and reuse yeast.
No starter
Always a big pitch.
Cost is nothing but time.
I have a bevy of yeasts to choose from.
The process is not that tough. and it can all be completed on brew day.
Did I mention cost is nothing. I have six strains, with the newest (Fullers) on its 5th generation. My lager yeast (Ayinger) is on its 12th gen.

Thank you all for the help.
I will certainly start freezing some worth next time i brew. I do can my homemade tomato sauce for the year every september. I just submerge the masson jares intoba big pot of water and boil for 30 minuts. That seal them. I brew the beer last week but i incompletely forgot to keep some worth 😅. Picking up the worth from the bag after the mash is a great idea!!! Thank you 😁.

Back