Freeze Dry Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SevenOaks

Reaction score
Has anyone tried freeze drying hops for long term storage? Survivalists want to know.

...Depends on what you mean for long term storage...but if stored air tight and free of moisture, and away from sunlight (think original package) they should last you until the next time you brew...with some loss of alpha acids...I've done it a million time with yummy results...matter of fact, i have a freezer full of hops (pellet/leaf) now that have been stored for up too 1-3 years..and brew intermittently as I don't have a regular brew schedule...again with great results
..if the package isn't properly sealed, then you're talking a quicker loss of AA...

Check out the hop calculator for AA modifications:

http://brewerslog.appspot.com/HopAlphaCalc

Pretty much everyone who buys in bulk keeps them in the freezer, but "freeze dried" implies dessication, and nobody does that on purpose...

Cheers!

Well, not quite nobody...YCH Hops (formerly Hop Union) is now using a cryogenic process for hops. Very top secret at this point, but The results look spectacular. I hope to have a sample to play with soon.

This just brought a thought to my head so figured id ask.

I recently bought 6 pounds of hops which i intend to vacuum seal when i use them but at the moment they're stored in their original (not yet opened) packaging. One or 2 of the bags are vacuum seals but the rest are sealed in (i believe) nitrogen flushed bags. Is this just as good as vacuum seal or should i take them out of their sealed nitrogen flushed bags now and vacuum seal them? They've probably been sitting in the freezer for oh i dont know, 3-6 months so far.

Nitrogen flushed is at least as good as vacuum sealed and likely better if the O2 content is pretty close to zero.
I wouldn't open a nitrogen flushed bag just to stick it in a vac-bag...

Cheers!

Back