FREE Yahoo Pro football Pick'em--GET IN!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any interest in a suicide league? Saw this on another forum, I'd never heard of it before. Basically, each person picks one team to win each week. If that team loses, they're out, kaput. If that team wins, they get to pick one team the following week - but they can't pick the same team again all season. So, I couldn't keep picking the Patriots week in and week out (even though they're going 19-0 this season :D). I pick the Pats in week one; they lose, I'm done, they win, I can never pick the Pats again all season.

Any interest?

Second place in the pick 'em league....

Second place in the regular fantasy league...

I'd still be alive in the Suicide league if I hadn't screwd up and had to reset the picks...

I would have been collecting beer from 2nd Street if he had taken me up on my bet offer for the Pats-Jets. Y'all might be well-served to take a lesson from good ol' 2nd Street; he knows not to feck with the_bird....

uniconfis said:
Damn Yooper! 14/16 Nice job.

Thanks. But I think this week will be tougher and there is nowhere to go but DOWN. (Insert dirty joke here).

I'm alone in first place at the moment, and I'm basking in the glory until I lose and sink to the bottom with Evan! ;)

Yooper Chick said:
Thanks. But I think this week will be tougher and there is nowhere to go but DOWN. (Insert dirty joke here).

No joke necessary. Just make sure you film it and post it on RedTube. With a link here.:D

Yooper Chick said:

I'm alone in first place at the moment, and I'm basking in the glory until I lose and sink to the bottom with Evan! ;)

How about that...last place no more. In fact, I do believe that I was the leader for the week :rockin:

How many of you chumps didn't have faith in the Skins? :D

Evan! said:
How about that...last place no more. In fact, I do believe that I was the leader for the week :rockin:

How many of you chumps didn't have faith in the Skins? :D

I picked the Skins!! If only I had been in Vegas with $100. :p

Yeah, well, brag all you want but you know who is still in first place!!!!

Of course, now that you've all almost caught me, you'll pass me this week. This week looks really tough for me. The teams seem to be well matched this week and on about equal footing. I might have to change my strategy.

Evan! said:
What, you don't think that the old "throw darts at the pick'em chart while blindfolded" trick is gonna work anymore? :D

No, my stategy is much more intelligent than that! How dare you!!!!

What I do is look at all the matchups and analyze the defense against the type of offense the opposing team is running. For example, how many times they run to the strong side vs how well the defense defends the strong side each play. Or if the defense, for example, usually plays a 3/4 or a 4/3 type front. Then I think about the corners and safetys vs the type of patterns they tend to run. I think about how often and how effective they run the play action.

Then I get all frustrated, and just pick the team with the shiniest logo.

I tell you, look at the teams. Each week, the one with the shiniest logo (NOT the most colorful, but the shiniest) is the one that wins.

I wish I would have gotten in before week 1 but I was out of town right before the season started and didn't see this post until week 1 was started. I am in two other pick 'ems that also assign confidence points that I got in before the season started. Got 13 right in week 1 which would put me second here. Oh well, big hole to dig out of. Considering I have one less week of picks, may anyone I pass forever live in a pool of football knowledge shame.

PS: Don't underestimate the shiny logo rule - it can work at times.

:fro: << this guy's team would go 16-0.

Wow...just...wow. I did horrible, and somehow I still came in 2nd for the week. I'm creeping up on you, Lorena. Watch out!

if only Joe Gibbs and/or Joe Bugel had the good effing sense to USE those last twenty seconds on 4th and goal at the one, rather than run the same exact play as you ran on 3rd down, all in hurry-up offense. They had 20 seconds, dammit. Why!!??? Why did they forsake us???!! And I was on the lower level, diagonal from that very endzone, so I had to watch it unfold from just a few yards away. Then we got lost trying to get back to the car, so I had to listen to my friend's dad gloat over the damned Giants for like 4 miles of walking. Ugh. I'm very sad, even if I did okay in the picks.

edit: yeah, second for the week so far. We'll see what happens tonite.

This past week was tough- I'm definitely in danger of losing my #1 spot. I think this week is hard, too- too many "equal" teams playing. And lots of unpredictibility this year! Who would have thought that GB would be starting off 3-0. You guys are all gaining on me.

Yeah, well, N.O. screwed me on Monday night, but I'm still in there. But yes, this week looks dreary.

I just might try your "shiniest logo" method, Lorena. :p

Wow- this was a very hard week. I can't believe how wrong I was! Who would have thought that SD would lose to KC, Chicago would lose their defense, and Green Bay would be 4-0? I guess there never really is a sure thing this season.

I got effed in the A. KC screwed me in the suicide league (only two left, how pathetic). And I only got 4 right in the pick'em. But considering that nobody got more than 6 this week, I don't feel quite as bad.

OMG, how is it possible that we ALL sucked that bad? Cripes, I feel better now! Still tied for second place!

Damn, it's pathetic when you can't get half the games right - and you're not even betting against the damn spread!

This football season has been quite the killer so far. There are lots of upsets and unpredictability. I'm glad I don't gamble too much, I'd be broke.

Evan! said:
Lorena, I can't believe you picked dabarez! I was SURE I'd caught up to you. You're too damn good at this.

Haha! I'm sure I'll fall behind fairly soon, because of my "risky" picks sometimes. I was behind this week at the very beginning, but still managed to just be a pick or so behind.

I love this game!!!!!!

I wondered what happened to you! I thought for sure that you'd overtake me this week, but instead, I'm pulling ahead a little.

I love this game! :rockin:

Yeah I forgot to do my picks too... any chance we can change it to drop our lowest week? Otherwise there's not much point for me to continue picking...

Back