Free range or caged?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burntchef

Reaction score
Hops that is. I always caged since I started brewing. First with muslin, then with a ss hop basket. With both those methods I noticed the amount of the hydration of the hop pellets and the density in the cage. This last brew day I went free range. Other than the hot break being different and the amount of hop debris left in the bottom of the BK, I am stoked to see if I acieved any more flavor. What has been your results?
Eric

I can't go "commando" in my BK as I don't have a screen on the dip tube (yet). But the last beer that I dry hopped without a bag, just threw them in, turned out MUCH different than earlier versions when I used a bag. Beer is an American Strong that can finish out kind of sweet (I don't mind, I like it that way), this time it had HUGE hop flavor and a different bitterness. I tend to use bags because I reuse my yeast, and hate washing/rinsing it to get the hop goo out of it.

That is good info. Now I am really curious, 2 weeks to wait lol. The beer is a 10 gallon ale with 8oz of citra. It is on my house list so any change should be noticeable.
Eric

Pellets loose in the kettle, and I strain most of them out in the pour into the fermenter. Haven't tried a bag with hops, but I do bag my adjunct grains.

Loose is best. I think the hops make more contact with the wort increasing your efficiency. Same with dry hopping. I find it really makes a difference. But it doesn't work for everyone's system. I don't worry about hop matter getting into the fermenter. It settles out below the yeast anyway.

Back