Free DIY Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't mean to rain on your parade, but ice water (or snow melted in water if ice is a problem) will work FAR better than snow. Snow will actually insulate the heat coming off of the kettle and keep a layer of warmer air between the snow and the side of the kettle (similar to how an igloo works). If you don't have an immersion or countercurrent chiller, using ice water that is periodically stirred and ice topped off works best.

Wow! First reply was a "well actually".
I'm sure it's better to keep a snow flow going. I'm just going to tie my kettle to the cat when she goes outside. Until they start taxing snow.

I actually added water to it the first 2 times, only didn't on the last of 3 times alternating between the sinks, because I didn't need to at that point. Took about 15 minutes to get to the 80's. It was more convenience then anything, and definitely saved time over just cold water. Mainly posted the pictures for humor purposes, but it is practical if you don't have a chiller and are doing extract batches right now.

I've been frustrated in the past putting warm bottles in a snow bank and waiting forever for my beer to get cold, like Max384 mentioned. I would imagine that a near boiling pot placed in a sink full of snow would rapidly melt some to make the water needed. All you need is a generous supply of snow to keep things slushy.

Wow! First reply was a "well actually".
I'm sure it's better to keep a snow flow going. I'm just going to tie my kettle to the cat when she goes outside. Until they start taxing snow.

Just trying to be useful. I've come up with some really "great" ideas that turned out to be pretty awful in actual use.

If this method works, more power to the OP. I was just giving suggestions for it to work better.

In my Wisconsin winter brewing experience, I like to fill a bathtub with cold water, then use snow to make essentially an ice-bath. Coupled with stirring and moving of the pot, this is really fast and effective...just be careful not to shovel up grass or dirt or any other junk that will make a big mess in the bathtub!

Latest posts

Back