Freaking out!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Displaced MassHole

Reaction score
Well I'm about to get out of the Navy, and I dont have a job yet :(

If I'm going to re-enlist I have to do it in the next few hours or not at all. I really don't want to as I'm tired of deployments and I don't want my son to grow up with me being gone all the time.

My wife is still on active duty for a few more years so we'll have atleast one income, but it wont be enough.

Man I need a job like yesterday and I think I'm going to have an anxiety attack.

I'm really just venting here as everyone else around me right now really doesn't care what my decision is.......

I feel your pain...

When I was in, I had the opportunity to get out early, so I applied for it. I received notice 12 days before my release date. So yeah.. there I stood, outside the base with my possessions in a sea bag, no car, no job, no place to live.

The only thing that saved my ass was the 45 days of leave I had that I sold back.

walmart is always hiring. i know that may be a big step down, but a paycheck is a paycheck. it can hold you over until a better job lines up.

Just enroll in some college full time. You get E-5 BAH(when I was stationed at Camp Pendleton 5 yrs ago it was $1400 or so) while going to school as well as the remainder in the difference between the tuition at UC Berkely (or the most expensive state school in whatever state you'll be living in) and whatever school you go to. If you go to Mira Costa (if staying in Sandiego) or CS San Marcos, you could potentially make 2K per month for going to school. Its not alot but you'd be able to spend time with your kid.

walmart is always hiring. i know that may be a big step down, but a paycheck is a paycheck. it can hold you over until a better job lines up.

Yes and no.

Walmart won't hire you if you have any remotely marketable skills; nor will they hire you unless you have recent retail experience.

I got out of the Navy in 2004 and went to Hong Kong to live for 3.5 years without a job. It was fun but also sucked that I couldn't work there. When I finally came back to the US it took me nearly a year and a half to land a job. It's tough but I'm sure you can manage if you really want out of the Navy.

What job do you have (EM,ET, etc)? Have you gotten in contact with bradley morris? They are a job placement firm for military folks. They got me the job I have now. The problem is the spouse. No one wants to leave SoCal and you have little choice on staying. Companies are usually more willing to hire navy folks over other branches (in my experience) so you should feel at an advantage over others in the same boat.

Whatever you do, get out. It was the best decision of my life. The post 9/11 gi bill is awesome. Take advantage as dirtbagrob (great name btw) stated above.

/old nuke electrician

First of all, from Navy vet, thank you for your service. I went through the same struggles when I got out in '92. No job, no home and 3000+ miles from family. Loaded up the truck with SWMBO and the 2 dogs and drove stright from North Island San Diego to Newport Maine. Worked a few meanial jobs and then went into construction for 5 years. I've been with an airline line in maintenance for thepast 14 years. The struggles ain't easy my friend. Do what YOU want to do. Never do anything life changing based on family wants if it's not what you want. You will only begin to resent them and that is no good. Hope all works out for you.

Back