Four Reasons you Shouldn't Homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was pretty good. It is very much the male equivalent to a shoe addiction. Between brewing/ fishing / hunting/ cars I have spent so much freakin money! Always need one more thing......

I know the intent of this, satire, at least I hope it is.

I take exception with it, if the idea is supposed to be serious.

#1 There is no reason to expect your beers will not be good. I feel that my beers are equal to (75%) or better than commercial beers (20%) that leaves only 5% of my beers that I have been dissatisfied with.

#2 It is costly when you start up. I have been brewing for 5 years now and have not bought any expensive equipment for almost the last 3. So now even figuring in the equipment I can brew for less than $2 per bottle. The average 6 pack costs a little more than that and beers in a bar are almost twice. So I am now saving money.

#3 Time... If I wasn't spending that time on this hobby it would be spent on another so that is not an issue.

#4 It does take space, but so do many other hobbies, some take up much more space. For instance car restoration, woodworking, welding.

So for me the whole idea is false.....

The garage thing hit me hard. I'm guilty.

I moved to a bigger house, with a 2-1/2 car garage and I still can't park a car in my garage. I'm thinking of putting up a new building for more room.
I tell my wife it's for a workshop.

I love the picture of him standing in front of the AMAZING brew shed!

I have a feeling he is going to give up home brewing to take up guitar and in 3 years he will be standing in front of that very shed and it will be filled with all his band equipment, lighting and large speakers .

The fact of the matter is... If your prone to diving head first into a hobby and going full tilt! It aint gonna matter the hobby..PERIOD! Ours is just better than all the others...LOL

Cheers
Jay

I'm assuming it's satire, but man he sounds so angry, lol.

Ya it's a time suck, but I enjoy sitting in my backyard / garage for 5 hours on a Saturday during a brew. Brewing, listening to some tunes or catching up on some sports car racing on the garage TV is a relaxing day to me.

It IS expensive to get started, but once you have a good setup not so much. Same with any hobby. Try photography if you really want to go broke fast with your hobby.

And while I've had my share of mediocre beers with practice, improvement in process, and now kegging I'm making beers I enjoy more than anything I can get from a commercial or micro brewery around town.

Also does this look like my entire garage is overflowing with brewing stuff?

IMG_3014.jpg

IMG_2948.jpg

I agree, esp #1. My first couple beers were not that good, but now they are at least as good as many commercial beers...

I know the intent of this, satire, at least I hope it is.

I take exception with it, if the idea is supposed to be serious.

#1 There is no reason to expect your beers will not be good. I feel that my beers are equal to (75%) or better than commercial beers (20%) that leaves only 5% of my beers that I have been dissatisfied with.

#2 It is costly when you start up. I have been brewing for 5 years now and have not bought any expensive equipment for almost the last 3. So now even figuring in the equipment I can brew for less than $2 per bottle. The average 6 pack costs a little more than that and beers in a bar are almost twice. So I am now saving money.

#3 Time... If I wasn't spending that time on this hobby it would be spent on another so that is not an issue.

#4 It does take space, but so do many other hobbies, some take up much more space. For instance car restoration, woodworking, welding.

So for me the whole idea is false.....

I would hope that it's satire, because for the most part it's inaccurate. You can easily make great beer with very little cost and very little space and in very little time.

As far as the expensive part. I find it to be one of the cheap ones and you get beer out of it. With my other hobbies I spend thousands and still have the problem of buying beer.

But honestly, he's right. It takes a special type of person to really devote the time and effort to becoming an excellent homebrewer. A lot of people don't have the dedication or mindset. This article is good advice *for those people*.

But people that have the right mindset can consistently churn out commercial-quality beer at a price, once equipment is amortized, well below commercial. People like that hang out on HBT all day, so this article isn't aimed at us.

Satire of course, just not very good at it...

Cost...it is what you want to make of it. I think many of us are "tinkerers" by nature and that is part of the fun. Part of the reason I took up this hobby was I wanted a tangible result at the end of the day. It will always be more expensive if you factor in the value of your time. However, like many of you, if I wasn't brewing I would be doing something else, isn't that the point, a distraction from what we do daily.

Quality...we have all had some great beers, some mediocre and only a few bad ones. Again, part of the reason we do it, to see what we can come up with. My best beer ever, forgot to take good notes and will never be replicated. LOL

Space...I have plenty not an issue and I love looking at my creation when I head out to the garage...

But guys! I bet you didn't know you could just drive down to the beer store (less than 20 minutes away) and buy beer without all this HASSLE!!

This is the least expensive of all my hobbies.

I make the most amazing beer in my house.

It takes up a lot less space than I do.

I play video games while I brew so I multitask time-waste.

Well, to add an interesting aside to all this, I quit drinking a couple months ago. Our 60th birthdays left me with an epiphany that took me to hell & back. After all that, I began to notice a lot of memories I hadn't thought of in years, even decades, started coming back to me one or two per day! So alcohol definitely seems to have an effect on the biochemical memory processes? I'm still going to brew the mumme' & the hybrid lagers from the old days soon. I just won't drink very much...at least, at one time. It's nice to get my old self back again...in a few quite wondrous ways...:ban:

Back