four month old yeast viability with big beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CloverBrew

Reaction score
I collected a white labs Trappist yeast on September 1st 2012. That would make the yeast that was sitting in my fridge roughly 4 months old. I am brewing a Belgian dark strong ale with an estimated OG of 1.100. I have started a stir plate, with yeast nutrient, yesterday night. The starter is half pound LME to half gallon water. Gravity should be roughly 1.040. I shook it this morning, due to forgetting the aeration shake last night. I plan on letting it stir until Sunday. Any concerns? I have purchased a fresh Trappist yeast just incase the consensus is negative. If need be, can I dump the new yeast vial into the starter after work? Or suck it up and start the starter over. So what is the shelf life of refrigerated yeast, or the limitations of reused yeast.

I have used liquid yeast that is 8 months old. My LHBS sells it at 75% off most times. I start with a small amount of 1.040 wort for 24 hours, turn the stir plate off and let it sit for about 6 hours, decant off the liquid and then make a 1L starter after that, works great for me. Last week, I took a bottle of a unfiltered local beer poured about 80% out and did pretty much the same thing as i mentioned earlier, except that I did 3 steps for the starter. Beer is in the closet fermenting away.

Back