Founders All Day IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed this exact recipe about a month ago and did a side by side over the weekend. Mine is on the right. This was the closest I've gotten a clone to taste like the commercial version.:rockin: Thanks for the recipe Brewski!

I'm definitely doing this recipe real soon. Unless I'm sampling, this is basically the only beer I buy at the store.

Since you did a side by side; how was the body of your batch vs the breweries? While I love the breweries offering, it is just a little watery imo. I'm hoping the oats tightened it up a bit.

If it did not what does everyone think of pumping the oats up a little?

Since you did a side by side; how was the body of your batch vs the breweries? While I love the breweries offering, it is just a little watery imo. I'm hoping the oats tightened it up a bit.

The body of my beer vs. Founder's was very close and yes it is on the lighter body side. I'm going to be brewing this again soon and this time I'm going to put it on my Nitro tap.

Have you experienced a dulling of flavor with nitro? I have found my grain and hop profile "numbed" when i put beer on gas. I might not have it dialed in though. I think im going to build the oat profile on this recipe and report back with my findings.

And to the op....

Gratitude for the recipe..

I'm definitely doing this recipe real soon. Unless I'm sampling, this is basically the only beer I buy at the store.

If it did not what does everyone think of pumping the oats up a little?

I was just gonna comment on this I love how the beer is so light and spritzy! similar to a Berliner Weiss, I was gonna say 1.012 FG seems high would it not be lower for this body

Brewed this yesterday.

Biab
American Ipa
Batch size 5.5
Boil 8.24 gal
70% efficiency

7lb 2 row. 68.6%
1lb 4 oz crystal 20l. 11.8
1lb flaked oats. 9.8
.5lb rye flakes. 4.9
.5lb red wheat flakes. 4.9
Mashed between 145 and 150 for 60min.

.25 crystal. @60
.25 simcoe. 60
.5 amarillo. 20
.25 crystal. 20
.5 simcoe. 20
.5 amarillo. 5
.25 citra. Whirlpool @ 170
.25 citra. Dry hop keg
.5 amarillo. Dry hop keg
.5 simcoe. Dry hop keg

Estimated ibu 51.39 tinseth.

05 yeast, hydrated.

Plan on 2 week primary and then into keg and dry hop for 1 week.

Brewery notes.
I way overshot the og and came in at 1.055. My efficiency latley has been scary awesome so next time im going to delete a lb of 2 row.

Founders states they use oats as 20% of the grain bill. Im not comfy with going that high as ive been told its not just a straight infusion mash.

I used 5% as a baseline for the rye and wheat and hopefully will be able to note the difference for future batches.

Seems to be a clearer picture on the hops just being citra and amarillo only. For this one i put brewsky's hop schedule with additions of citra and amarillo in hopes of deconstructing it in later batches.

Next batch will be citra and amarillo only with fw and late additions as hinted by founders.

Tell ya in three weeks what happens.

I done a dodgy gravity test with this, I shook some up and put it in the fridge over night to de carb it and it came out at 1.008 don't know how accurate this is but there ya go

5 Gallon batch size
OG=1.040 FG=1.012 SRM=6 IBU=40 (Rager) I got 70% Extract efficiency. I think I mashed at 148F.

6# 12oz Briess 2-row
1# 2oz Briess Caramel 20L
12oz flaked oats
4oz Briess Red Wheat

8g Crystal 3.4AA leaf 60 min
6g Simcoe 14.1AA leaf 60 min
14g Amarillo 8.6AA pellet 20 min
14g Crystal 3.4AA leaf 20 min
14g Simcoe 14.1AA leaf 20 min
14g Amarillo 8.6AA pellet 5 min
14g Crystal 3.4AA leaf 5 min

Dryhop (7 days)
14g Simcoe 14.1AA
14g Amarillo 8.6AA
14g Crystal 3.4AA

I brewed this exact recipe about a month ago and did a side by side over the weekend. Mine is on the right. This was the closest I've gotten a clone to taste like the commercial version.:rockin: Thanks for the recipe Brewski!

I brewed the same. I didn't do a side by side because a) I've had trouble finding All-Day IPA here (seriously?) and b) I had some boil issues due to not enough heat output from my gas stove that lengthened the boil to 90 minutes and put my additions off. I used US-05, built up with a starter as I had half a pack left over from a Pliny clone.

Even with the boil issues, it's an excellent beer, with a pretty simple recipe. I'm sure I'm missing some hop aroma/flavor because my timing of hop additions was off.

Generally I'm sure that some of the clone recipes on homebrewtalk are way more complex than the original - a larger brewery isn't likely to use a handful of five kinds of speciality malt in a beer, they're far more likely to use a fairly simple recipe with round weight amounts for their batch size - and this seems to fit that bill. I'm sure that it could be done with the same grain bill but with all simcoe and amarillo as others have suggested.

Brewed this yesterday.

Biab
American Ipa
Batch size 5.5
Boil 8.24 gal
70% efficiency

7lb 2 row. 68.6%
1lb 4 oz crystal 20l. 11.8
1lb flaked oats. 9.8
.5lb rye flakes. 4.9
.5lb red wheat flakes. 4.9
Mashed between 145 and 150 for 60min.

.25 crystal. @60
.25 simcoe. 60
.5 amarillo. 20
.25 crystal. 20
.5 simcoe. 20
.5 amarillo. 5
.25 citra. Whirlpool @ 170
.25 citra. Dry hop keg
.5 amarillo. Dry hop keg
.5 simcoe. Dry hop keg

Estimated ibu 51.39 tinseth.

05 yeast, hydrated.

Plan on 2 week primary and then into keg and dry hop for 1 week.

Brewery notes.
I way overshot the og and came in at 1.055. My efficiency latley has been scary awesome so next time im going to delete a lb of 2 row.

Founders states they use oats as 20% of the grain bill. Im not comfy with going that high as ive been told its not just a straight infusion mash.

I used 5% as a baseline for the rye and wheat and hopefully will be able to note the difference for future batches.

Seems to be a clearer picture on the hops just being citra and amarillo only. For this one i put brewsky's hop schedule with additions of citra and amarillo in hopes of deconstructing it in later batches.

Next batch will be citra and amarillo only with fw and late additions as hinted by founders.

Tell ya in three weeks what happens.

How did this turn out? I haven't had this beer yet as I'm in Australia - It's hard to get (if at all)
It's my brothers go to beer, so I would love to brew it when he is home next.

Look forward to your tips!

Cheers:mug:

How did this turn out? I haven't had this beer yet as I'm in Australia - It's hard to get (if at all)
It's my brothers go to beer, so I would love to brew it when he is home next.

Look forward to your tips!

Cheers:mug:

Gonna be a couple more weeks, still fermenting away. Going to brew it again today with only amarillo and citra so i can do a three way tasting in about a month.

Sorry i meant simcoe and amarillo.

Last edited:
I brewed the same. I didn't do a side by side because a) I've had trouble finding All-Day IPA here (seriously?) and b) I had some boil issues due to not enough heat output from my gas stove that lengthened the boil to 90 minutes and put my additions off. I used US-05, built up with a starter as I had half a pack left over from a Pliny clone.

Even with the boil issues, it's an excellent beer, with a pretty simple recipe. I'm sure I'm missing some hop aroma/flavor because my timing of hop additions was off.

Generally I'm sure that some of the clone recipes on homebrewtalk are way more complex than the original - a larger brewery isn't likely to use a handful of five kinds of speciality malt in a beer, they're far more likely to use a fairly simple recipe with round weight amounts for their batch size - and this seems to fit that bill. I'm sure that it could be done with the same grain bill but with all simcoe and amarillo as others have suggested.

I'm pretty sure I built this one as a 30bbl and scaled down and then rounded off. It's how I try to do clones to help get as close as possible. The smallest amount I use is half sacks of grain at that point. Got the idea from the Jamil show "can you brew it" on the brewing network.

Brewed this this morning.

Og 1.051
ibu 47.29
5.5 batch
05 yeast

7lb 2 row
1.2 lb crystal 20
1 lb flaked oats
.5 lb flaked rye
.5 lb red wheat

Mashed between 145 and 150 for 60

.25 amarillo fw
.25 simcoe fw
.5 amarillo @ 20
.5 simcoe @ 20
.5 amarillo @ 5
.25 citra @ whirlpool 170 deg. For 20 min.
.5 amarillo dry hop day 9 thru 14
.5 simcoe dry hop day 9 thru 14
.25 citra dry hop day 9 thru 14

want to try this and the one i did thursday in a test. I know founders says its only simcoe and amarillo, but my taste buds pick up citra at the end. Some think im crazy but even if im wrong it should still be a good beer.

I'll brew it again next week with only simcoe and amarillo.

Again thank you brewski for the recipe.

I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't telling us everything in the beer. A little bit of professional misdirection if you will? Having had a few more beers hopped only with citra, I'd toss a small amount in. If not the same beer, it would be an awesome addition to the beer (maybe better than the original?).

Also, did anyone think this year's batch wasn't the same/as "fresh" and good? Or was it just me?

I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't telling us everything in the beer. A little bit of professional misdirection if you will? Having had a few more beers hopped only with citra, I'd toss a small amount in. If not the same beer, it would be an awesome addition to the beer (maybe better than the original?).

Also, did anyone think this year's batch wasn't the same/as "fresh" and good? Or was it just me?

At one time i drank a lot of Dc Brau "Public" then started really killing my taste buds with union jack. Came back to public and tasted like crap. Same thing with sn pale ale. Swore they changed the recipes, then laid off the ultra hoppys for a while and tried again. Palate adjusted bacK to what i remember.

Damned I say that I personally have to cleanse the palate before comparing similar types. I now drink lots of centennial blonde to re adjust.

5 Gallon batch size
OG=1.040 FG=1.012 SRM=6 IBU=40 (Rager) I got 70% Extract efficiency. I think I mashed at 148F.

6# 12oz Briess 2-row
12oz flaked oats
4oz Briess Red Wheat

Dryhop (7 days)
14g Simcoe 14.1AA
14g Amarillo 8.6AA
14g Crystal 3.4AA

I used WLP862 Cry Havoc (british yeast qualities) because its my house strain. I plan on culturing some Bells yeast soon. Suggest WLP001 or equivalent if you don't have Bells yeast, but anything mild/neutral will work.

My only change would be less of the Crystal hops for flavor, maybe half, and add simcoe to balance the IBU, or just increase one of the bittering additions. I also love Amarillo, so I wouldn't be opposed to bumping up the 5 minute addition of Amarillo for more aroma. I thought this was a really close recipe as it is. I will probably add about 1/4 oz of Citra for dryhop next time to get a mild tangerine.

For extract, just use some Briess CBW Golden Light and make sure you pitch enough yeast and have a healthy fermentation. You will finish a tiny bit higher (1.014 maybe?), but it should be close enough. If you think that's a little dark or too much crystal malt in the extract, the Briess CBW Pilsen Light has less crystal malt sweetness to me. I don't think the flaked adjuncts are all that important in this beer.

Cheers :mug:

How was the bitterness with this??

I have just entered the recipe in Beersmith, but the IBU is about 29 when. This says 40, and the IBU according to Founders is 42.

Thanks for posting. Keen to try this one soon!

:mug:

Brewed this this morning.

Og 1.051
ibu 47.29
5.5 batch
05 yeast

7lb 2 row
1.2 lb crystal 20
1 lb flaked oats
.5 lb flaked rye
.5 lb red wheat

Mashed between 145 and 150 for 60

.25 amarillo fw
.25 simcoe fw
.5 amarillo @ 20
.5 simcoe @ 20
.5 amarillo @ 5
.25 citra @ whirlpool 170 deg. For 20 min.
.5 amarillo dry hop day 9 thru 14
.5 simcoe dry hop day 9 thru 14
.25 citra dry hop day 9 thru 14

want to try this and the one i did thursday in a test. I know founders says its only simcoe and amarillo, but my taste buds pick up citra at the end. Some think im crazy but even if im wrong it should still be a good beer.

I'll brew it again next week with only simcoe and amarillo.

Again thank you brewski for the recipe.

Body and moutth feel is pretty good, probably more so than the original. Not enough hops at the end. Also should go 3 weeks in fermenter. Tastes good but not the aroma, bite flavor i expected. Upping the simcoe and amarillo to 1 oz each in the dry hop. Might do 3 weeks in fermenter then dry hop in keg. Will brew again this week. Compared side by side with 3 other guys and the consensus is to up the dry hops.

Check back in 1 month.

How was the bitterness with this??

I have just entered the recipe in Beersmith, but the IBU is about 29 when. This says 40, and the IBU according to Founders is 42.

Thanks for posting. Keen to try this one soon!

:mug:

Change your bitterness scale. I use rager and have liked it. It could have been a touch higher IBU (but that could have also been a process issue as well). All in all, it was pretty close and a good beer.

If also look at extending your whirlpool time. Maybe double it. I'd also double the dry hops personally.

If also look at extending your whirlpool time. Maybe double it. I'd also double the dry hops personally.

Double the dry hops on your reciepe? or one of the others posted?

I have brewed your reciepe. Turned out pretty good. I don't brew enough to say my process is locked down, but it was fairly close to the original considering I brew 1-2 times a year all grain.

Thanks,
rob

Body and moutth feel is pretty good, probably more so than the original. Not enough hops at the end. Also should go 3 weeks in fermenter. Tastes good but not the aroma, bite flavor i expected. Upping the simcoe and amarillo to 1 oz each in the dry hop. Might do 3 weeks in fermenter then dry hop in keg. Will brew again this week. Compared side by side with 3 other guys and the consensus is to up the dry hops.

Check back in 1 month.

Drop the citra completely. Drop the 5 min amarillo and whirlpool 1oz simcoe and .5oz amarillo for 40. 3 weeks fermentation and it really shines. Ibus are high but it still matches the taste.

kegged on thursday for a saturday cook out. Pulled first draft at 2pm, gone by 6pm.

If I could figure out their water at the brewery I bet we could make it even better. I just adjusted my water to an ipa water profile,

Was the 1oz sim and .5oz am at 40 in addition to the fw and 20 amounts? Did you go with the 1oz of each dryhop? Thanks!

Thanks for the work on this. In spite of the reports about the FWH and what-not, I think I'll go with the the OP recipe.

Swore that I tasted Columbus in this beer, but guess I'm the only one.

TD

It's by all means not a final recipe. Please report back after you brew it and we will make adjustments as needed. I'm in need of a low gravity home brew soon so I think I'll be brewing soon too.

I haven't brewed this in a while but I've drank it a few times and think I'd use citra instead of crystal. I get a similar note from zombie dust. But no, I haven't tried the linked recipe. Let us know how it is if you do it.

Brewski09
Any thoughts on the brewtoad recipe? Which recipe was your latest? I haven't purchased the grain yet so I'm looking for suggestions.

Brewski09

Any thoughts on the brewtoad recipe? Which recipe was your latest? I haven't purchased the grain yet so I'm looking for suggestions.

Specifically on that recipe, I'd replace crystal with citra and cut the caramel malts in half. Also, not sure if cascade is right but it could be. Only 1 way to find out though. Working on finding my last recipe I used, may have lost it with a dead computer though.

Noob question time:

I've got an extract and specialty grain version of this fermenting right now as my first homebrew. I'll be dry hopping with .3oz Simcoe, .25oz Amarillo, and .25oz Citra (pellets). My question is should I move to a secondary fermenter for dry hopping, and if so, when should I move the beer? As soon as fermentation dies down or wait a while? Also how long should I dry hop for? Thanks for any advice.

Noob question time:

I've got an extract and specialty grain version of this fermenting right now as my first homebrew. I'll be dry hopping with .3oz Simcoe, .25oz Amarillo, and .25oz Citra (pellets). My question is should I move to a secondary fermenter for dry hopping, and if so, when should I move the beer? As soon as fermentation dies down or wait a while? Also how long should I dry hop for? Thanks for any advice.

This has many answers. You can dry hop in primary but I don't recommend it if you want to reuse the yeast as the hop trub will carry over into the next beer. I do my hops at 3-5 days of contact time, usually 3 days though, so I like to wait until about 9-12 days before adding dryhops so any yeast cleanup and beer clarification can happen. The day before you want to bottle or keg it cold crash for 24 hours (you can do this for longer and dryhop cold as well, I believe there are a number of threads on here recommending warm dryhopping though). When you do rack into the bottling bucket I'd recommend leaving a bit behind in the fermenter and only taking clear beer as there will be less sediment in all of your bottles. Also, stir gently to maintain an even mixture of priming solution to beer in your bucket. Don't be afraid to move the beer off the hops and hit it with a second dryhopping if it's not strong enough for you you can also leave it on and add more but I don't like the hop polyphenols you get from too long of a high dryhop contact time (I am more sensitive to them).

Sorry about the late response. You'll develop your own dryhopping preferences over time through experimentation but this will get you started at least. Impressive that you bit this recipe off as your first homebrew. Hope it turns out great for you and that we've helped to create a homebrewer for life.

::mug::

This has many answers. You can dry hop in primary but I don't recommend it if you want to reuse the yeast as the hop trub will carry over into the next beer. I do my hops at 3-5 days of contact time, usually 3 days though, so I like to wait until about 9-12 days before adding dryhops so any yeast cleanup and beer clarification can happen. The day before you want to bottle or keg it cold crash for 24 hours (you can do this for longer and dryhop cold as well, I believe there are a number of threads on here recommending warm dryhopping though). When you do rack into the bottling bucket I'd recommend leaving a bit behind in the fermenter and only taking clear beer as there will be less sediment in all of your bottles. Also, stir gently to maintain an even mixture of priming solution to beer in your bucket. Don't be afraid to move the beer off the hops and hit it with a second dryhopping if it's not strong enough for you you can also leave it on and add more but I don't like the hop polyphenols you get from too long of a high dryhop contact time (I am more sensitive to them).

Sorry about the late response. You'll develop your own dryhopping preferences over time through experimentation but this will get you started at least. Impressive that you bit this recipe off as your first homebrew. Hope it turns out great for you and that we've helped to create a homebrewer for life.

::mug::
Thanks for the thorough reply, Brewski. I was already planning to go ahead and transfer to a secondary tomorrow, but I feel a lot better with your confirmation. The beer (I guess it's safe to call it beer at this point:D) has been in the primary for right at 9 days as I type this, and fermentation has really died down in the last 24-36 hours.

I was initially thinking I'd dryhop for 5 days, so I'm thinking I'll dryhop for 4 days around 70* and then cold crash it for a 5th before bottling. We'll see how much of a cold crash I can really do--I'm using a Vissani 52 bottle wine chiller that I haven't modified yet so I'm not sure how cold it will be able to get without having bypassed the stock thermostat.

Thanks for the input and hopefully I'll be reporting back around the 15th of May that the first batch came out delicious! :mug:

You should be able to get down to the 40s in a wine cooler (white wine temps). You may try putting the fermenter in an ice bath in an oversized bucket to get it cold more quickly.

I haven't brewed this in a while but I've drank it a few times and think I'd use citra instead of crystal. I get a similar note from zombie dust. But no, I haven't tried the linked recipe. Let us know how it is if you do it.

Would you do something like this when replacing the crystal with citra?
(Rager Scale)

Boil Size: 7.54 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.98 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.047 SG
Estimated Color: 5.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 42.4 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 73.2 %
Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
8 lbs Pale Malt, 2 row (CMC) (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 80.0 %
12.0 oz Caramel Malt - 20L (Briess) (20.0 SRM) Grain 2 7.5 %
12.0 oz Oats, Flaked (Quaker) (1.0 SRM) Grain 3 7.5 %
4.0 oz Rye Malt (Briess) (3.7 SRM) Grain 4 2.5 %
4.0 oz Wheat Malt, UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 5 2.5 %
0.25 oz Simcoe (2014 - YVH) [14.10 %] - Boil 60. Hop 6 13.7 IBUs
0.25 oz Amarillo (2014- YVH) [8.00 %] - Boil 60. Hop 7 8.4 IBUs
0.40 oz Amarillo (2014- YVH) [8.60 %] - Boil 20. Hop 8 5.0 IBUs
0.30 oz Citra (2014 - YVH) [12.30 %] - Boil 20.0 Hop 9 5.3 IBUs
0.30 oz Simcoe (2014 - YVH) [14.10 %] - Boil 20. Hop 10 5.5 IBUs
0.30 oz Amarillo (2014- YVH) [8.60 %] - Boil 5.0 Hop 11 1.8 IBUs
0.30 oz Citra (2014 - YVH) [12.30 %] - Boil 5.0 Hop 12 2.6 IBUs
1.0 pkg Denny's Favorite 50 (Wyeast #1450) Yeast 13 -
1.00 oz Amarillo (2014- YVH) [8.00 %] - Dry Hop Hop 14 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe (2014 - YVH) [13.00 %] - Dry Hop Hop 15 0.0 IBUs
0.25 oz Citra (2014 - YVH) [12.30 %] - Dry Hop 5 Hop 16 0.0 IBUs

was out of crystal hops and didn't know it. I subbed hersbrucker which was the only one of the various suggested online substitute varieties I had on hand. I guess time will tell. 1.040 OG on my no spare eBrew setup. Third brew of the year. Hard finding time anymore. need to pickup some more Simcoe for dry hopping. Is there an ongoing hop shortage? I see prices on some hopes nearly 2.50-3.50 per ounce!!

TD.

5 Gallon batch size

6# 12oz Briess 2-row
12oz flaked oats
4oz Briess Red Wheat

Dryhop (7 days)
14g Simcoe 14.1AA
14g Amarillo 8.6AA
14g Crystal 3.4AA

I used WLP862 Cry Havoc (british yeast qualities) because its my house strain. I plan on culturing some Bells yeast soon. Suggest WLP001 or equivalent if you don't have Bells yeast, but anything mild/neutral will work.

My only change would be less of the Crystal hops for flavor, maybe half, and add simcoe to balance the IBU, or just increase one of the bittering additions. I also love Amarillo, so I wouldn't be opposed to bumping up the 5 minute addition of Amarillo for more aroma. I thought this was a really close recipe as it is. I will probably add about 1/4 oz of Citra for dryhop next time to get a mild tangerine.

For extract, just use some Briess CBW Golden Light and make sure you pitch enough yeast and have a healthy fermentation. You will finish a tiny bit higher (1.014 maybe?), but it should be close enough. If you think that's a little dark or too much crystal malt in the extract, the Briess CBW Pilsen Light has less crystal malt sweetness to me. I don't think the flaked adjuncts are all that important in this beer.

Cheers :mug:

Made the all grain version of this a couple weeks back according to the above recipe and I must tip my hat to you Brewski09, this is a FANTASTIC clone! Mine came out a touch more fruity, probably because I threw in maybe an extra 1/2 - 1oz more Amarillo in order to use up extra I had lying around. Will definitely brew again!

And BTW... O-H! :mug:

Made the all grain version of this a couple weeks back according to the above recipe and I must tip my hat to you Brewski09, this is a FANTASTIC clone! Mine came out a touch more fruity, probably because I threw in maybe an extra 1/2 - 1oz more Amarillo in order to use up extra I had lying around. Will definitely brew again!

And BTW... O-H! :mug:

I-O! Wish I had extra Amarillo just "lying around." Glad the recipe turned out so well.

was out of crystal hops and didn't know it. I subbed hersbrucker which was the only one of the various suggested online substitute varieties I had on hand. I guess time will tell. 1.040 OG on my no spare eBrew setup. Third brew of the year. Hard finding time anymore. need to pickup some more Simcoe for dry hopping. Is there an ongoing hop shortage? I see prices on some hopes nearly 2.50-3.50 per ounce!!

TD.

Some hops cost more due to demand. I don't think there are any true hop shortages, just spot market pricing causing different hops to cost more.

Just spent an hour reading all 24 pages of the thread...

Just to keep the best Brewski09 recipe fresh - should we make the Crystal-to-Citra replacement? Replace to Citra in all additions? (60-20-5-Dryhop)

Also, I cannot get "Briess Red Wheat" Malt - can it be substituted with generic 2L Wheat malt? Or is it for red color only? - I could use 15L Bestmalz "Red X" barley malt...

Latest posts

Back