Foundation Brewing Epiphany Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeastylad

Reaction score
Foundation Brewing Company are located in Portland Maine, nestled in the same sweet locale of brewing excellence as Allagash and Bissell Brothers. They have an IPA called Epiphany which is extremely sought after in the area, very unique and extremely drinkable. It sells out very soon after release. The colour is an astounding amber/gold, and I'm not kidding when I say it almost glows. The aroma and flavor are jammed with juicy fruity citrus and tropical hop flavors and the bitterness and finish is as smooth as I've ever tasted.

I shared two cans with 2 friends on the last release about a month ago, and am hoping to find some more soon (they released more yesterday). I'd love to work towards a clone recipe for this, but haven't drunk enough of it and don't have enough all grain experience to put together a clone recipe myself, although I'll certainly give it a shot.

Anyone else out there had this beer? Got ideas for a clone? Tried to make a clone?

http://foundationbrew.com/beer/epiphany/

From their website -

Grist: Pilsner Malt, Pale Malt, Oats

Hops: Columbus, Cascade, Citra, Ella, Mosaic

Yeast: House British Ale

ABV: 8%

IBUs: 85

This is all I have so far

But doesn't it look amazing!

Epiphany.jpg

Epiphany-005.jpg

No seasoned home brewers and Epiphany drinkers out there that can help this thread get rolling?

Also - I missed out on the last release of this from Foundation. So here's waiting until the next one...

I picked up a growler of this on my last maine trip- (I still claim to be a mainer even though I am currently stuck in ct off the foreseeable future). I also grabbed a 4 pk of I lucky from bissel which was terrible. I really enjoyed the foundation beer- great hop flavor and the aroma was fantastic.

I am thinking that bissel, foundation, marshal wharf, are basically using the same method- standard dipa grain bill, northeast IPAs love some crystal- big dose of early dose bittering hops to get the IBU's up and then a huge whirlpool/ hop stand to get the great hop flavor and aroma. Also I Imagine a 5 to 7 day dry hop. Since all these breweries are dealing with storage issues, I bet it's something like 2 weeks from kettle to can. Their yeast is gonna be something like Conan or London yeast- something standard for north east breweries.

I am finding the more I hit up these newer breweries with their popular IPAs, there are a lot of similarities between the beers with the only huge differnce being the choice of hops.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Definitely think you're on the right track, although there's no crystal mentioned in the malt bill above (from their website). I'm thinking the Columbus is obviously bittering (or in with FWH), maybe cascade and Ella as late additions, although I don't know anything about Ella hops, don't know if I've ever drank a beer with Ella before, and Citra and mosaic for whirlpool/steep and dry hopping, but I'm just guessing here as a first step. I might email them to see if they want to give anything else away.

I emailed Joel at Foundation. What a great guy! He hit me back straight away with a few hints. Although they won't disclose the brewing process at present Heres what I got:

This was initial stab at a recipe:

Batch Size: 5.30 gal Style: Imperial IPA (14C)
Boil Size: 8.26 gal Style Guide: BJCP 2008
Color: 4.6 SRM Equipment: 15 gallon brew boss
Bitterness: 85.9 IBUs Boil Time: 60 min
Est OG: 1.076 (18.3° P) Mash Profile: BIAB, Light Body (149F mash)
Est FG: 1.015 SG (3.9° P) Fermentation: Ale, Single Stage
ABV: 8.0%

7 lbs 8.0 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 1
6 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 2
1 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 3
1.0 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.0%] - First Wort Hops 4
1.0 oz Cascade [5.5%] - Boil 20 min Hops 5
1.0 oz Ella [15.0%] - Boil 10 min Hops 6
1.0 oz Mosaic [12.5%] - Steep 10 min Hops 7
3.0 oz Citra [12.0%] - Steep 10 min Hops 8
2 pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) Yeast 9
1.0 oz Mosaic [12.5%] - Dry Hop 5 days Hops 10
2.0 oz Citra [12.0%] - Dry Hop 5 days Hops 11

Joel responded with:

"You might want to consider some simple sugar as part of your recipe to ensure that it dries out enough. We also use Ella in the dry hop. Otherwise, you should have a pretty tasty beer!"

So I now have this:

Color: 4.0 SRM Equipment: 15 gallon brew boss
Bitterness: 87.0 IBUs Boil Time: 60 min
Est OG: 1.072 (17.3° P) Mash Profile: BIAB, Light Body (149F mash)
Est FG: 1.011 SG (2.7° P) Fermentation: Ale, Single Stage
ABV: 8.1%

6 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 1
5 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 2
1 lbs Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Grain 5
1.0 oz Cascade [5.5%] - Boil 15 min Hops 6
1.0 oz Ella [15.0%] - Boil 10 min Hops 7
1.0 oz Mosaic [12.5%] - Steep 10 min Hops 8
3.0 oz Citra [12.0%] - Steep 10 min Hops 9
2 pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) Yeast 10
1.0 oz Mosaic [12.5%] - Dry Hop 5 days Hops 11
2.0 oz Citra [12.0%] - Dry Hop 5 days Hops 12
1.0 oz Ella [15.0%] - Dry Hop 5 days Hops 13

I guess now all I need is to find time to brew now.... I also feel like the color may be too light, but we'll have to see.

I was wondering if they used crystal or Maris otter- a Maris otter 2 row mix does seem like a better option since the beer didn't seem overly sweet to me- interesting with the addition of corn sugar though, I wouldn't have guessed that. I am interested to hear how that recipe is with that yeast choice,- I've used s04 a lot but I don't think that will highlight the hops enough, but will probably still taste awesome.

It's a pretty cool scene down there between bissel and foundation, I like how you can just wander and drink between the breweries and hang out.

I haven't even heard of Ella hops lol and I would try London ale III (1318) If the s04 doesn't get you where you want the beer to be. I might put this on my list to brew too

Will be curious to see how your recipe comes out. I'm new to brewing so can't really lend any information but I have recently been up to Maine and picked up a few 4pks of this before leaving. It is great! I was also pleasantly surprised with Bissell Bros. IPA - Substance... not quite as bold or strong as Epiphany but still a very good beer... Amazing that these two little breweries next to each other both have IPAs that score in the mid-high 90's on Beer Advocate. Please keep us informed of your progress on the clone!

I was wondering if they used crystal or Maris otter- a Maris otter 2 row mix does seem like a better option since the beer didn't seem overly sweet to me- interesting with the addition of corn sugar though, I wouldn't have guessed that. I am interested to hear how that recipe is with that yeast choice,- I've used s04 a lot but I don't think that will highlight the hops enough, but will probably still taste awesome.

It's a pretty cool scene down there between bissel and foundation, I like how you can just wander and drink between the breweries and hang out.

I haven't even heard of Ella hops lol and I would try London ale III (1318) If the s04 doesn't get you where you want the beer to be. I might put this on my list to brew too

As a disclaimer I'm VERY new to all grain (as in, looking to do my first all grain batch soon), and have mostly done a bunch of pretty successful extract brews. I have only worked with a handful of different yeast so I'm totally down with taking more experienced brewers suggestions ahead of brewing anything. They just say "British house strain" for yeast, so I'd love to hear what people think it could be?

I'd like something like this to be my first all grain brew. I have a Brew Boss system, and have only done a few extract brews on it (don't ask), so I'm keen to get going!

Will be curious to see how your recipe comes out. I'm new to brewing so can't really lend any information but I have recently been up to Maine and picked up a few 4pks of this before leaving. It is great! I was also pleasantly surprised with Bissell Bros. IPA - Substance... not quite as bold or strong as Epiphany but still a very good beer... Amazing that these two little breweries next to each other both have IPAs that score in the mid-high 90's on Beer Advocate. Please keep us informed of your progress on the clone!

Try bissel brothers swish dipa- fantastic. Prefer it to heady topper and sip of sunshine

Just wondering yeastylad if you used any beer software to come up with your recipe? Just curious - plugged your recipe into the brewer's friend software online and it came out with much different results.... ?

Just wondering yeastylad if you used any beer software to come up with your recipe? Just curious - plugged your recipe into the brewer's friend software online and it came out with much different results.... ?

Beersmith. I have a profile set up for my Brew Boss, so the recipe might not work for everyone, plus I haven't fine tuned my system parameters yet, so it could be way off.

Well, I finally got the opportunity to try my first brewing and thought I would give a shot at trying a recipe for cloning this beer.

Here were my ingredients:

10 lbs American Pale Ale
3 lbs of German Pilsner
1 lb of Oat Flakes

5 Hops
Columbus - added at 5 min left
Citra - added at 10 min left
Galaxy (in place of the Ella hop) added at boil -60 min
Mosaic - added at 10 min left
Cascade - added at 5 min left

The process did not quite go as planned and my OG was way low so clearly did not get enough sugar out of my mash and ended up adding .75lb of cane sugar to boost up the Original gravity. It only managed to get to 1.062. I took a reading today after 10 days and gravity was at 1.010 - so about 6.8% - I will see if it drops anymore over the weekend. I few notes.... I missed the earlier post on dry hopping with Ella - I probably should have done a dry hop. Since it was my first attempt at brewing I didn't want to complicate things with dry hopping - but clearly that was a mistake... lesson learned. Secondly, I think I would use Mosaic in the dry hop as well as that was very apparent in the Epiphany -

The color of my beer is also lighter than the Epiphany - so I am guessing there must be some other addition we are not aware of to bring the color up. My color came in at 10 SRM and is still way too light in color. At this point I am guessing there is some Crystal Malt to boost up the color a tad. That may also attribute some additional mouth feel to the beer. At this point my beer is very dry with not a lot of mouth feel yet - but that may improve a little. The good news is its still a pretty tasty beer at this point.

Hopefully taking a final gravity reading this weekend and bottling some time next week after cold crashing...

I realize there is no mention of crystal/caramel malts - but I just don't see how they can get that color with just those ingredients. Unless maybe they are toasting or roasting one or more of the ingredients - maybe toasted oats??? Have you tried a recipe based on this yet? I am currently dry hopping my second attempt with the crystal malt - and color looks much better for this batch. I should be bottling next week.

Cheers!

Well, the beer is in the bottles and it tasted darn good prior to carbonation. I will probably try one this weekend. I'm not sure if its going to be close enough to be considered a clone - I have one can of Epiphany left - so may open it up to compare with this brew... Hoping I can get a friend of mine in Maine to bring some back this fall!

This recipe was as follows:

Amount Fermentable PPG °L Bill %
5 lb American - Pale 2-Row 37 1.8 31.3%
5 lb American - Pale Ale 37 3.5 31.3%
2 lb United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale 38 3.75 12.5%
1 lb Flaked Oats 33 2.2 6.3%
2 lb American - Pilsner 37 1.8 12.5%
1 lb American - Caramel / Crystal 40L 34 40 6.3%
16 lb Total
Hops
Amount Variety Type AA Use Time IBU
1 oz Citra Pellet 14 Boil 90 min 51.41
1 oz Galaxy Pellet 13.9 Boil 10 min 17.3
1 oz Columbus Pellet 13.8 Boil 5 min 9.44
1 oz Mosaic Pellet 11.5 Boil 5 min 7.87
1 oz Citra Pellet 14 Dry Hop 4 days
1 oz Cascade Pellet 5.7 Dry Hop 4 days
1 oz Mosaic Pellet 11.5 Dry Hop 4 days

Original Gravity should have been 1.083 - but missed that by quite a bit - few mistakes during mash and added too much sparge water --- OG was 1.070
Final gravity was 1.011 So came in at 7.75% - so still pretty close.
Mashed 90 minutes -- Boiled 90 minutes - Mash temp 154...

Unfortunately, probably won't try this experiment again until next year sometime.... A Rye is next and then into the Holiday beers next..... Pumpkin, Christmas something, etc...

Will let everyone know how this recipe compares to the real thing in a few weeks....

Joel responded with:

"You might want to consider some simple sugar as part of your recipe to ensure that it dries out enough. We also use Ella in the dry hop. Otherwise, you should have a pretty tasty beer!"

So I now have this:

Color: 4.0 SRM Equipment: 15 gallon brew boss
Bitterness: 87.0 IBUs Boil Time: 60 min
Est OG: 1.072 (17.3° P) Mash Profile: BIAB, Light Body (149F mash)
Est FG: 1.011 SG (2.7° P) Fermentation: Ale, Single Stage
ABV: 8.1%

6 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 1
5 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 2
1 lbs Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Grain 5
1.0 oz Cascade [5.5%] - Boil 15 min Hops 6
1.0 oz Ella [15.0%] - Boil 10 min Hops 7
1.0 oz Mosaic [12.5%] - Steep 10 min Hops 8
3.0 oz Citra [12.0%] - Steep 10 min Hops 9
2 pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) Yeast 10
1.0 oz Mosaic [12.5%] - Dry Hop 5 days Hops 11
2.0 oz Citra [12.0%] - Dry Hop 5 days Hops 12
1.0 oz Ella [15.0%] - Dry Hop 5 days Hops 13

I guess now all I need is to find time to brew now.... I also feel like the color may be too light, but we'll have to see.

tl:dr, I've had a lot of IPAs and Epiphany is my favorite. I think this clone is damned close.

So, a little over a month ago, I had this beer and immediately went on the search for a clone. I happened upon this thread and bought the ingredients listed above. Of course, things don't go exactly as planned. First, I missed my volume due to being an idiot- we don't need to go into why. I was short about a gallon, and my OG was very slightly under- 1.069. However, I still used the exact same hop volumes and schedule as above- because I'm an idiot. Here's what resulted:

All of this is from the hydrometer sample. I was too excited to wait for crashing/carbing.
Aroma - f*cking perfect. This is Epiphany. Based on the fact that I was under volume I'm tempted to up the dry hop amounts when I reach full volume. Another option would be to leave them where they are and see if it materially effects it. I don't think it will.
Color - too yellow. I have no idea how they got that bright orange color, but I'm jealous of it and need some tips on how to change the color to 'Tangerine Juice'.
Taste - lots of fruit- exactly like it smells. Also floral, spicy, herbal, and dry. The aroma is so powerful that it comes through on the tongue. Malt is present, this is not just a hop bomb. Too bitter, likely from too much bittering hops based on the volume, plus, it's a hydrometer sample and backside bitter always tends to mellow out after kegging. I believe that this will be solved by using proper ratios and not being an idiot.
Mouthfeel - idk, it's an uncarbed hydrometer sample, but I drank the whole thing.
Overall - I can't wait for this to be carbed, and I also can't wait to try again.

Thanks for the head start! I'll post my v.2 when I get around to brewing it.

Edit: Just a short PS. When I pulled the sample during kegging, I can't tell you how excited I was when I gave it that first sniff. My wife walked in the door as I was finishing up and I nearly broke my back running the sample over to her. I had a few beers I was working on at the time so she didn't know which I was kegging. When she smelled it she said 'Oh my God, that's Epiphany.'. This is why I brew.

One More Edit: OP, do you think it would be worthwhile to reach back out to your contact and ask the color question?

tl:dr, I've had a lot of IPAs and Epiphany is my favorite, and I think this clone is damned close.

So, a little over a month ago, I had this beer and immediately went on the search for a clone. I happened upon this thread and bought the ingredients listed above. Of course, things don't go exactly as planned. First, I missed my volume due to being an idiot- we don't need to go into why. I was short about a gallon, and my OG was very slightly under- 1.069. However, I still used the exact same hop volumes and schedule as above- because I'm an idiot. Here's what resulted:

All of this is from the hydrometer sample. I was too excited to wait for crashing/carbing.
Aroma - f*cking perfect. This is Epiphany. Based on the fact that I was under volume I'm tempted to up the dry hop amounts when I reach full volume. Another option would be to leave them where they are and see if it materially effects it. I don't think it will.
Color - too yellow. I have no idea how they got that bright orange color, but I'm jealous of it and need some tips on how to change the color to 'Tangerine Juice'.
Taste - lots of fruit- exactly like it smells. Also floral, spicy, herbal, and dry. The aroma is so powerful that it comes through on the tongue. Malt is present, this is not just a hop bomb. Too bitter, likely from too much bittering hops based on the volume, plus, it's a hydrometer sample and backside bitter always tends to mellow out after kegging. I believe that this will be solved by using proper ratios and not being an idiot.
Mouthfeel - idk, it's an uncarbed hydrometer sample, but I drank the whole thing.
Overall - I can't wait for this to be carbed, and I also can't wait to try again.

Edit: Just a short PS. When I pulled the sample during kegging, I can't tell you how excited I was when I gave it that first sniff. My wife walked in the door as I was finishing up and I nearly broke my back running the sample over to her. I had a few beers I was working on at the time so she didn't know which I was kegging. When she smelled it she said 'Oh my God, that's Epiphany.'. This is why I brew.

You don't know how happy this makes me. I'm hoping to give a more refined recipe a shot within the next few months. Considering I'd never brewed all grain when I put that recipe together, I'm glad at least part of it is on the right track.

I'll see what I can do...

I just shot Joel an email. I'll let you know what he says.

Here's what Joel had to say. A little cryptic as usual...

"While not every system will produce a beer the same, there are variations of pale, pils, and oats that give different color contributions, and if you want to add a little color, you could explore a small addition of low lovibond crystal malts to give just a touch of color.

Good luck!

Joel"

It maybe sounds like there is a grain bill using those malts which can give that color, but I don't know whether he's saying they use crystal or not?!?

tl:dr, I've had a lot of IPAs and Epiphany is my favorite. I think this clone is damned close.

One More Edit: OP, do you think it would be worthwhile to reach back out to your contact and ask the color question?

So did you brew this recipe? It sounds like you did and it came very close! Please advise.

Well, I couldn't wait so I tried one of my brews today from my recipe earlier - Version 2 -- Wow this is a great beer! Even if it hasn't fully matured. I will definitely be doing a comparison with my last can of Epiphany in about a week or two!

Cheers,
Joe

Here's what Joel had to say. A little cryptic as usual...

"While not every system will produce a beer the same, there are variations of pale, pils, and oats that give different color contributions, and if you want to add a little color, you could explore a small addition of low lovibond crystal malts to give just a touch of color.

Good luck!

Joel"

It maybe sounds like there is a grain bill using those malts which can give that color, but I don't know whether he's saying they use crystal or not?!?

Hard to say. I want to say that he's saying that he gets that color with pale, pils, and oats alone, but I guess 'you could explore' could be code for 'that's how I do it'.

The more I read this the more I think 'you could explore' is a hint. Remember what he said in the first reponse: "you'll have a tasty beer!". He was right. It's tasty... but not the same look...

In all honesty, I'm not that concerned with making a perfect Epiphany. I am perfectly happy with making a beer that comes close and tweaking it to my own tastes. That being said, I would love to hit that color spot on :)

You don't know how happy this makes me. I'm hoping to give a more refined recipe a shot within the next few months. Considering I'd never brewed all grain when I put that recipe together, I'm glad at least part of it is on the right track.

OK, to wrap this up:

Kegged, crashed, carbed, chilled.

I'd give this a 9/10 as far as an Epiphany clone goes. It's missing that awesome color, but the taste and aroma are damned near perfect. If you brew this to spec and DON'T win an award, PM me, I'll buy the batch (you pay shipping :))

The biggest problem I had was sucking up some trub when racking to the keg, which meant that a pint or two looked a little icky. After that, it was marvelous. Cheers to the OP.

I would use Golden Simpson Naked Oats instead of flaked.

10° L. This unique product has a sweet berry-nut flavor. Used at a rate of 4-15% to add a deep golden hue, light caramel flavors, and a creamy, satiny finish

I would use Golden Simpson Naked Oats instead of flaked.

10° L. This unique product has a sweet berry-nut flavor. Used at a rate of 4-15% to add a deep golden hue, light caramel flavors, and a creamy, satiny finish

This could be the missing link.:rockin::mug:

I brewed this past Saturday using this grain bill(with the flaked oats.) I also added .5lb of wheat malt to give it nice head retention. My efficiency came in a bit under - was expecting 1.083 and got 1.072.
For the hops I couldn't find Ella, so subbed Mosaic.
For hops I did:
-20 - 1oz Azzaca
-10 - 1oz Cascade, .5oz Columbus
200° Whirlpool for 20 min - 1oz Mosaic, 1oz Citra
Dry hop 1 for 3 days - 1oz Citra, 1oz Columbus
Dry hop 2 for 3 days - 1oz Mosaic, 1oz HBC-438

I cannot wait for this beer to finish. I'll post a pic when it's done.

Thanks for all the posts on this thread.

I brewed this past Saturday using this grain bill(with the flaked oats.) I also added .5lb of wheat malt to give it nice head retention. My efficiency came in a bit under - was expecting 1.083 and got 1.072.
For the hops I couldn't find Ella, so subbed Mosaic.
For hops I did:
-20 - 1oz Azzaca
-10 - 1oz Cascade, .5oz Columbus
200° Whirlpool for 20 min - 1oz Mosaic, 1oz Citra
Dry hop 1 for 3 days - 1oz Citra, 1oz Columbus
Dry hop 2 for 3 days - 1oz Mosaic, 1oz HBC-438

I cannot wait for this beer to finish. I'll post a pic when it's done.

Thanks for all the posts on this thread.

How did this turn out?

Does anyone have any thoughts on the yeast Foundation uses? I put S-04 in the recipe here as a stab in the dark. I know they use some sort of British strain, but wasn't sure if this is the correct one. This IPA is pretty clear compared to a lot of the murky offering from the North East at the moment (Heady, Trillium, Reciprocal), and I heard Trillium uses London Ale III, and their beers are very hazy. S-04 is British, and clears / flocs well, which is why I chose it. Thoughts?

I brewed this pretty much as written (your revised version) on 10/31, will move to the dry hop keg next week.

Subbed:

.75 lb Simpson's Golden Naked Oats
.5 lb. flaked oats

London Ale III

I used this yeast the week before (10/24) on the Common Room ESB recipe because I wanted to top-crop some experienced yeast for this batch :D

I will say that ESB dropped clear faster than any beer I have done so far...

I'm intrigued by this one and will be brewing it soon, along with my other IIPAs that will be going on.

A few questions:

How dry is the real deal? I've seen two mash temps (149 and 154) which would make two totally different beers. Having not had this beer I can't say what temp I'd use.

How cool is the proposed fermentation temp?

I'm assuming once it's done fermenting the idea is to get it carbonated as quick as possible? Going with the NE trend of milky IPAs.

Final question. Could someone send me some? I'd like to try to clone a couple more NE beers as well, but it's hard when you don't have a sample to compare against. This, Julius, Focal Banger, Green, and Hop Showers are ones I want to get cloned. I've pretty much got Heady dialed in and would like to get some more good hop monsters down. I've got plenty of Westvleteren 12 to trade for quantity of my list there. But I'd like a consensus on my answers more than the beer.

Additional info from the can - FG is 1.009

So SG would probably be around 1.070 ish

Interesting - I believe my can indicated a FG of 1.014 or maybe 1.016 ---- hard to believe the FG would vary that much from batch to batch unless they altered the recipe recently....

Back