Allagash Brewing Little Brett Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madscientist451

Reaction score
I had a bottle of 2016 Little Brett in my cooler for a while, popped it open tonight and liked it enough to hunt around for a clone recipe.
So turns out they just announced they are releasing the 2018 version.
The brewer at Alagash says its 100% Mosaic, it is dry hopped, has a blend of 2 row base malts and uses the "house" Brett strain. Abv is 4.8%.
One website, "Taphunter" lists the IBU at 13 and the ABV as 4.6 %, so the recipe may have changed over the years.
Anyone know what the Allagash Brett strain consists of?
I saved the bottle dregs, anyone know if they bottle condition? Is Brett any good after 2 years in the bottle?
I've never done a 100% Brett ferment so this is an interesting project for m

Current plan is to do a simple 1.5 gallon SMASH brew with Rahr 2 row and Mosaic, use 2, 1 gallon jugs as fermenters; pitch Brett C in one jug and bottle dregs from Little Brett (get more bottles) in the other. Ferment in mid 60's or low 70's and see what happens.

Last edited:
Check out the Yeast Bay TYB-207 for something that most likely is the Brett strain you’re looking for. Had this beer at the Brewery on Sunday. Their Brett plus Mosaic makes for some very cool/interesting flavors.

Can't speak for that beer particularly but I did culture up some Allagash White yeast a while back. They definitely conditioned with the same yeast they fermented with for that one. Pitched the dregs of 4 bottles into a starter and a few days later there was enough for a batch, can't see why it wouldn't work with the Little Brett.

When I was at Allagash a few years back on a brewery tour, I asked the girl pouring the samples about the brett strain. She said it was a proprietary strain cultured just for them. She called it brett A. (For Allagash). She also said they filter it out at bottling and replace it with something else. Not sure how accurate all that is, but if it is, I don't know why I'm saving a couple Allagash Brett beers if there is no brett in them.

I’m pretty sure Little Brett is not bottle conditioned with Brett, although it is bottle conditioned.

Their Brett strain was discovered accidentally in an infected batch of beer in the brewery. I’m not joking when I say TYB-207 is what you need to make this beer.

Nick from The Yeast Bay here! Little Brett does seem to be filtered now, I noticed that recently when I had a bottle about a month ago. That said, I can guarantee you that was not always the case.

Madscientist, did you ever get around to brewing this?

Not yet, I don't brew much in the summer, but I'm putting it on the list, thanks for reminding me. I have to order the TYB-207 directly from The Yeast Bay, and I didn't want to have that shipped in the summer.
I tossed the dregs from my one bottle of Little Brett in with dregs from Lost Abbey "Gift of the Magi" and it fermented some wort and its been sitting in my fridge for several months. I'll probably run my experimental dregs and TYB 207 in side by side batches when I get the yeast.
Thanks again for the reminder, I'm going to put the order in this weekend.

If your willing to share, what is your grain bill and hop schedule for this?
I kinda have my beers all scheduled for whats brewing the next couple months but this one is still in the back of my mind. Im giving some thought to using wlp645 or wlp644.
Thanks

Back