Found this.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Onihige

Reaction score
YHY8xbQ.jpg

Is it female hops in the early stage? Found it a few hundred meters away from where I live.

Sweden used to have a law that you had to grow hops in proportion to how large your farm was, so there's a tiny chance it's brewers hop and not the abundant garden hops you see in every other garden around here.

It had the same kind of leaves, and the stalk feels the same as the garden hops I've seen. However, the garden hop has never yielded anything - so I can't really compare it more.

Don't have any high hopes, and even if it's something useable - I'll have no idea what it is. Still, could be a lark to set aside a few liters of the next brew before the first hop addition and try these when they're grown.

Edit: It would also be quite fun it's a native variety, which would be a very low AA% hop. They used to sell a native hop in one of the homebrew store. It was under 3%.

You might be right, it didn't seem to be a climber. Granted, not as easy to tell in the wild without support. I'll keep monitoring the plant.

Found some garden hops by chance today outside a house. Took a picture to compare.

Garden hops:
q5wCu7n.jpg

Maybe wild hops:
vPH55iv.jpg

Back