Found: Source for Cooper's Fermenters...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is the advantage of this over a brewing bucket? Is it something you specifically need to use their kit.

What is the advantage of this over a brewing bucket? Is it something you specifically need to use their kit.
i was wondering this myself. seems quite expensive for basically a bucket

Mainly it holds a larger volume and the lid screws on. It is a very nice unit. I wouldn't trade mine for anything other than a stainless conical...

EDIT: By the way, that is a fantastic price! Thanks for the info.

Mainly it holds a larger volume and the lid screws on. It is a very nice unit. I wouldn't trade mine for anything other than a stainless conical...

EDIT: By the way, that is a fantastic price! Thanks for the info.

Sure!

It's most likely not better than any other bucket with spigot for most people. Since I'll be brewing on a sailboat, extra headspace (slosh-space) and a screw on lid for security are important to me.

BoB

+1 Makebeer.net good company. Used them when I was buying Coopers, you never forget your first beer!

I still use the fermenter as a backup.

Good customer service, an order got messed up and they fixed it and also sent me a nice free T Shirt.

My kit arrived yesterday!!! Now I just need to wait for the weather to cool a little to brew...

Now that I have a fermenter in my hot little hands I can answer your question a little better. The advantages over a bucket in my opinion are:

1: Well constructed designed and rugged. Should last forever.
2: Molded in handles.
3: Translucent so you can see the beer better with a TRANSPARENT lid for yeast voyering. I love yeast voyering.:D
4: Built in tap at the bottom (ale pales have this)
5: Well fitting screw on lid. Easy to remove, but solid and won't ever come off on its own.
6: Large capacity and headspace. I doubt even a hefeweizen on a hot day would require a blow off tube.
7: Large access hole at top for cleaning that you can get your arm in. (not better than a bucket but better than a BB in this respect)

Buckets will work fine, but this is slightly better IMHO.

BrewOnBoard

Any chance of posting a picture? I use a glass 7 gal carboy and still use my old plain bucket at times. But both are a very tight fit at the same time in my fermentation chamber.
This sounds pretty good for long primary items like a mead, cider or lager. What is the foot print of it?

Sure!

It's most likely not better than any other bucket with spigot for most people. Since I'll be brewing on a sailboat, extra headspace (slosh-space) and a screw on lid for security are important to me.

BoB

Umm, "slosh-space" is a bad thing, if your beers are sloshing they're potentially getting very oxidized. Why do you brew on a sailboat?

Umm, "slosh-space" is a bad thing, if your beers are sloshing they're potentially getting very oxidized. Why do you brew on a sailboat?

They shouldn't oxidize as the head space in which they will slosh is all Co2. In fact, yeast like to be sloshed about it puts them in contact with the fermentables, kind of like a stir plate. See here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/boat-giant-stir-plate-131095/

I "BrewOnBoard" because I live on a sailboat. :mug:

BoB

Kahuna: I'll see if I can measure it up for you in the next few days.

How can it get oxidized by sloshing in a place where there's no oxygen?
If the beer is still fermenting, it's producing CO2, which is filling the headspace of the fermenter.

Any chance of posting a picture? I use a glass 7 gal carboy and still use my old plain bucket at times. But both are a very tight fit at the same time in my fermentation chamber.
This sounds pretty good for long primary items like a mead, cider or lager. What is the foot print of it?

Fermenter.jpg

A nice container.....but $50 delivered? For what it is, half of that would be about right.

Having called and spoken with the people at Makebeer.com , also known as DIY, I can tell you this is absolute HOGWASH. They DO NOT SELL THE COOPER's FERMENTER, period. The only way you can get it from them is by buying the entire kit. This is not some jerks opinion, this is right out of the "horses mouth", so to speak. I honestly wish people would make certain of their "facts", before posting trash like this. Any doubts?

Call them!

Having called and spoken with the people at Makebeer.com , also known as DIY, I can tell you this is absolute HOGWASH. They DO NOT SELL THE COOPER's FERMENTER, period. The only way you can get it from them is by buying the entire kit. This is not some jerks opinion, this is right out of the "horses mouth", so to speak. I honestly wish people would make certain of their "facts", before posting trash like this. Any doubts?

Call them!

Uh, yeah, might want to check thread dates before calling everyone out.

Nice...

Back