Found my new favorite 'staple' beer... Makes me feel like im too judgemental...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyraindreams

Reaction score
I've never been a fan of the macro brews and I've always hated the lagers...

I like Dortmunder's and some black lagers...

I feel like I'm super judgmental of beers without giving them a chance... Today though this has become very apparent... I moved to my current place in July and the corner store 2 blocks down has an impressive array of craft beer... I always avoided the box labelled Session because of the name and the Lager tagged on it... Session!? That's what you call piss beer that gets you drunk at frat parties! But tonight I decided that my new found infatuation with the 'glass can' style bottle had to be satisfied... I looked on BA and saw it had good reviews but being a dedicated Lager hater I wasn't sure... The last beer i bought was the Genesee Heritage Pack(yeah I know my judgement has lead me to great taste in beer :p) and the little bottles have me enthralled in some unknown way so I had to try Session...

Phil and I walked to the corner store because he was out of cigarettes and there it was oddly enough, the Session Black, the one I wanted to try despite them only ever stocking the red box before... I grabbed the box and payed my dues and Phil grabbed red stripe(today was his first trip to the LHBS(mead for a first go) so he's trying to try everything beer and 'wine')...

The first sip was magic... It's an everyday beer for me... Like Guinness Extra Stout Light... I find this the most spectacularly misjudged(by preconception) beers I have ever tried... And I wonder why the name and the style should have put me off trying what I could have known so much earlier!

Anyone else ever had this happen? No real point to this thread just wanted to share...

If Full Sail distributed in Michigan, Session would be my yellow beer of choice. Session Black is also lovely.

Right now, my yellow beer is Genny Cream.

There is no shame in liking a domestic beer style you aren't interested in brewing yourself.

I, too, have a weakness for stubby bottles that dates back to my parents' fascination with Lucky Lager and Olympia.

Drink in good health!

I'm also a fan of Genny's Cream Ale... I think my lack of trying craft lager's might contribute to this... Too many BMC/InBev brands in my life maybe... Still not sure what my infatuation with the stubby bottles are :p

On my 4th Session Black... Said I would stop 2 beers ago and call it a night but this delicious beer... so delicious! must not stop!

And whats with Full Sail distributing to Ohio and not Michigan... they must be buckeye fans :p

You like stubbies, go find some RedHook. Best stubbies out there, IMO.

Saw that when searching for similar bottles... Definitely keeping an eye out for it.

EDIT - Session Black 5!

tyraindreams said:
And whats with Full Sail distributing to Ohio and not Michigan... they must be buckeye fans :p

The same thing happened with Shiner, of which I am also fond. OH had it 2 years before MI.

I still buy a few bottles of JTS Brown 100 proof bourbon whenever I am in Ohio...can't get that in the Mitten, either.

I'm confused...."Session" beers are usually ales, and they are the ones you can enjoy without getting drunk. They're usually full of flavor, but low gravity, that are great for hanging around the pub and enjoying a few milds without worrying about the after effects later. I'm on an English Bitter/Session kick right now and it's great. There's so much flavor in those little beers.

Got a good English Bitter/Session recipe to share?

Me? Not yet. I've found it's harder than you think, kinda like a lager, not a lot of room to hide any flaws.

I've been drinking a lot of commercial milds lately. These are the one's I've been trying according to my untappd account.

Brewery: Fuller, Smith & Turner (Fullers beers)
Style: English Strong Ale
ABV: 6.3%

Triple XB (XXXB)
Brewery: Batemans Brewery
Style: English Pale Ale
ABV: 4.5%

Old Bobby ale
Brewery: Baltika Breweries
Style: American Brown Ale

Ruddles County
Brewery: Greene King
Style: English Mild Ale
ABV: 4.7%

Old Speckled Hen
Brewery: Morland Brewery
ABV: 5.2%
First Had: Feb 1st 2012 (2)
Show More Details

Celtic (Hibernian) Ale
Brewery: Harpoon Brewery
Style: Irish Red Ale
ABV: 5.4%

London Pride
Brewery: Fuller, Smith & Turner (Fullers beers)
ABV: 4.7%

Scottish Ale
Brewery: Belhaven Brewery
Style: Scottish Ale
ABV: 3.9%

Winter Welcome 2011-2012
Brewery: Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
Style: Winter Ale
ABV: 6%

Smithwick's
Brewery: Guinness Ltd.
Style: Irish Red Ale

Breath of the Dragon English Bitter
Brewery: Dragonmead Microbrewery
Style: English Bitter

Shut up about Barclay Perkins has a huge amount of tasty Mild recipes on their site.

I guess my Kentucky Common at 4.5 would count as a session beer. It's not an English Mild, but it is low abv and tasty as heck.

Revvy said:
I'm confused...."Session" beers are usually ales, and they are the ones you can enjoy without getting drunk. They're usually full of flavor, but low gravity, that are great for hanging around the pub and enjoying a few milds without worrying about the after effects later. I'm on an English Bitter/Session kick right now and it's great. There's so much flavor in those little beers.

Yeah, I think Full Sail is just using the session moniker as a brand, since Session Black is actually >5% ABV.

usfmikeb said:
Yeah, I think Full Sail is just using the session moniker as a brand, since Session Black is actually >5% ABV.

If I remember correctly, Full Sail was playing on the "jam session" concept...get your buddies together, drink some beer, make some noise.
I agree...5% is excessive for a sessionable beer.

I guess it depends on who you ask, while session beer means one thing to my craft loving friends it means something totally different here(like light lager and yuengling lager, stuff with lower abv 3-4ish)...

Regardless of its name or style I really do enjoy the Session Black...

I actually just had my first session black yesterday. It was sold individually at the local brew shop that has 500+ beers. It was only $1 so I figured I would give it a shot. It was surprisingly tasty for how cheap it is. It will definitely be my go to beer when I'm low on cash and my keg is empty.

Just picked up a twelver for $8.99 at the local bottle shop. Couldn't really pass it up at that price. Very solid beer, easy drinking and some nice subtle roast/nuttiness. VERY dissappointed in the twistoff caps, though. Thought I could use them for bottling my homebrew.

Back