Found my first wild hop!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoneTreeFarms

Reaction score
While I was working today I noticed a mysterious vine climbing up a power pole. Upon further inspection I noticed that it is a dormant hop vine. I'd like to take and harvest the thing and take it back to my place and replant it but I have no idea on how to do this. I've read about crowns and rhizomes but not about cuttings. Any suggestions?

If for whatever reason it's not feasible to dig up the rhizomes, hops are super-easy to grow from clippings. You'll have to make note of the spot and come back when this year's bines start climbing; everything above ground dies back over the winter. I don't know what your yield will look like, but, a shoot with three or four pairs of leaves on it left in a little jar of water on a sunny windowsill will root in two or three weeks, no problem, and start growing like crazy once transferred to soil.

Cool, I found a couple of hop plants last year along the river that had cones. My plan this spring is to dig up a root and transplant to my yard. Hopefully I will get a good yield from them in a couple of years.

Holy coz fizgig that thing is huge!! So basically every root is a rhizome and the crown is the entire rootball?

Back