Found cool switch now need help wiring it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bensiff

Reaction score
Found a switch on Ebay that I really want to use, it says the LED uses DC and the switch is rated to 250VAC. Where I am confused and need help is that the really crappy wiring explanation in their picture shows the DC tied into the AC to get the light to turn on and off as switch is activated on/off. So, as best I can tell, either I don't know enough about how this works and need help with wiring or when the say 250VAC they don't actually mean alternating current and that is some other rating unbeknownst to me and my bit of Google-fu research.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/19mm-12V-An...502?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20cf20f2d6

Found a switch on Ebay that I really want to use, it says the LED uses DC and the switch is rated to 250VAC. Where I am confused and need help is that the really crappy wiring explanation in their picture shows the DC tied into the AC to get the light to turn on and off as switch is activated on/off. So, as best I can tell, either I don't know enough about how this works and need help with wiring or when the say 250VAC they don't actually mean alternating current and that is some other rating unbeknownst to me and my bit of Google-fu research.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/19mm-12V-An...502?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20cf20f2d6

You need a 12 volt source for the LED to light, the diagram that shows the load only light on would be switching a 12 volt control circuit. The 250 volt ratting means you could use the switch to control a 120 or 250 volt load but it is only 5 Amps. The 250 ratting is more to do with being able to put the switch in an enclosure with up to 250 volts in the same enclosure. Most electrical equipment is ratted at either 250 or 600 volt.

You need a 12 volt source for the LED to light[/QUOTE said:
That's what I was thinking, so u need DC and AC, sounds like a PITA for a switch.........although that switch is pretty cool.

You need a 12 volt source for the LED to light, the diagram that shows the load only light on would be switching a 12 volt control circuit. The 250 volt ratting means you could use the switch to control a 120 or 250 volt load but it is only 5 Amps. The 250 ratting is more to do with being able to put the switch in an enclosure with up to 250 volts in the same enclosure. Most electrical equipment is ratted at either 250 or 600 volt.

So this is meant to only control a DC powered device?

So basically you need a DC power supply for the LED. The switch will switch both the 120/240 and the 12vdc.

I would add a simple small 12 volt power supply. I do not build a control rack without DC in it. Easy peasy. Then add a 220 volt relay that can handle more amps. Solid state is best, but any old one will do. I would use that switch, I love it. I even added it to my watched items list for my next builds.

I would add a simple small 12 volt power supply. I do not build a control rack without DC in it. Easy peasy. Then add a 220 volt relay that can handle more amps. Solid state is best, but any old one will do. I would use that switch, I love it. I even added it to my watched items list for my next builds.

What he said ! :tank:

what he said +2

Woo Hoo I'm famous! lol

Some time I'll have to share pics of my CNC control panel I built. You guys think your brewery setups are wild!

Norm, that would be handy to do away with the 12 volt, but you would still need the realys, so why not just stick with the one he really likes?

This one is even less amps than the first one. I do love the angle eyes switches though.

Yeah the one I posted is only 3 amp compared to the 5 amp ebay switch and a slightly different look for sure!

Thanks guys. The auber one is what gave me the idea but its tiny, so I wanted the larger size and the various color options.

Getting 12v DC is no problem I have transformers and adjustable DC power supplies sitting around for the build already. I just am not seeing how this will wire in, application will be 110v not 220v NO so I want the LED to only turn on when switch is on. If any of are particularly good at this and can give me a diagram or good written outline for the unsophisticated mind I would appreciate it greatly.

Bensiff,

I would be glad to draw you up a schematic. Why don't you PM me about all of your equipment and I will put it all together. :rockin:

Bensiff,

I would be glad to draw you up a schematic. Why don't you PM me about all of your equipment and I will put it all together. :rockin:

Wow, that's awesome...I'll PM you tomorrow morning...Slainte. Now back to the Scotch.

Back