Found a guy on CL that refills CO2 out of his house

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milworm1

Reaction score
I was looking for used 5lb tank on CL and found a guy that refills tanks out of his house/garage. Does this sound safe? I'm new to kegging and just got my new 5lb tank and his price is best around and I get to keep my tank. He said his safe and he does it all the time. Any thoughts? I'm in the Northern Va area.

He probably runs a small fire extinguisher business. There is a guy in my little town does the same. Work schedules have kept me from seeing if he will fill mine, that and working at a reconstructing of a restaurant building (vacant 3 years) I was given a 20# co2 full that was left by coke.
Think about it I'm sure there are people who say "this guy brews beer in his garage/basement, Do you think its safe?"

If you are concerned about overfilling, weigh your tank empty so you know the true tare weight (it may also be stamped on the neck, but measure anyway), and then weigh it before you accept the tank for transport (either bring your scale, or make sure he has one you can check with).

It doesn't take a genius or special equipment to fill a tank but it can end up under or overfilled if the guy doesn't know what he's doing. Bring a scale and make sure you're getting the full 5 pounds.

I guess you could ask to see some certification, if he has it then sure go for it, if not, YOLO!

Sorry for saying yolo.

Thanks for the replies, I actually met up with him yesterday and he owned paintball shop and has been doing it for a while. He had a nice set up too. Filled and then blew of, filled more, kept rotating tank and had his own scale. To make sure accurate weight before and after. I will defiantly go back again, $15 for 5 lb tank. Thanks again.

Back