Found a good beer blend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sablesurfer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I attempted to make a clone of Brew Dog's Nanny State. It is a <1% beer that is well over 100ibu. Turned out that it is WAY too bitter to drink on its own. Not bad at all, just WAY WAY harsh bitter.

So I started to try to mix with a couple other beers I have around.

First - a barleywine that never carb'd. The bitterness actually still stayed over top of the beer and didn't work with the malty flavors.

Second - an IIIPA that is good but ended up too sweet (I am assuming because it was all extract) but has great hop aromas. Turned out that the hop flavors don't play very well together between the two. Definitely thinned out the sweetness a bit.

Last - a T'Mave Pivo which was my first ever attempt at a lager. It is very good, I like it, but...if I have to be overly critical (and yes I have to be) it has too much malt to it. Next time I need to drop the dark malts a bit. This is actually THE PERFECT blend of the two. The lager is all Saaz so it melds well with the harsher bittering in the Nanny State. Also, the 1% beer cleans up the malts a lot to make it much more stylistic mouth feel.

Interesting to play around like this with the variety I have in kegs. Also a great way to not have to waste a beer that is just way to bitter on its own.

Next version of Nanny State will be much lower in bittering and def higher in the whirlpool and dry hop.

For future reference brewdog have released a lot of homebrew versions of there beers

Back