Fotays

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RiversC174

Reaction score
I love me a good quality brew...but I also love me a nice cold 40 oz. malt iquor now and again to remind me of my days gettin boozed up in 9th grade behind Red Lobster. I dont know if these are lager recipes or not but I would be interested in trying to brew an Old E clone, haha. For shizzle. Any ideas??

most 'malt liquors' are lagers.

as for a recipe... there is nothing really special about malt liquor. The term is just a United States legal thing. Any beer above a certain ABV has (or had... things might be changing now) to be labeles as Malt Liquor.

You can probably fine clone recipes for some of the more popular ones (Old E, Schlitz, Mickey's, etc) on the web, but basically... you are just going to make a high gravity lager.

To be true to the style, you probably want to use very little hops and augment the malt with corn sugar. Basically, make the beer for as cheap as you possibly can. :)

-walker

Walker-san said:
most 'malt liquors' are lagers.

as for a recipe... there is nothing really special about malt liquor. The term is just a United States legal thing. Any beer above a certain ABV has (or had... things might be changing now) to be labeles as Malt Liquor.

You can probably fine clone recipes for some of the more popular ones (Old E, Schlitz, Mickey's, etc) on the web, but basically... you are just going to make a high gravity lager.

To be true to the style, you probably want to use very little hops and augment the malt with corn sugar. Basically, make the beer for as cheap as you possibly can. :)

-walker
You could use flaked corn or rice if you do AG. You can get rice syrup for extract brewing.:mug:

Back