Fort George 3 Way IPA (2014) Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slcalex

Reaction score
So this is my first recipe post so bear with me. :)

Had this excellent beer this summer on a trip to Oregon. We don't get their beers here so I emailed for info.

Here's the rundown: "The Three Way IPA uses 8000 lbs of two row, 160 lbs of aromatic, 200 lbs of C-15, and 1600 lbs of flaked corn per 120 barrel batch."

Also read they use Chinook, Citra & Mosaic. Based off that here's what I came up with.

Fort George 3 Way IPA (2014)

Partial Mash
5 Gallons
OG: 1.063 FG: 1.017
IBUs calculated: 154
SRM 6.5
US-05 rehydrated
Ferment @ 65 10 days
Dry hop day 10

6Lbs 2Row mash 152 for 60min
3Lbs Light DME flameout
.25Lbs Aromatic malt
.25Lbs Crystal 15
2Lbs Flaked Corn

1oz Chinook - 60 min 42.5 ibu
.66oz Citra - 10 min 9.4 ibu
.66oz Mosaic - 10 min 9.1 ibu
.33oz Chinook - 10 min 5.1 ibu
2 tsp Gypsum
.66oz Citra - 5 min 5.2 ibu
.66oz Mosaic - 5 min 5 ibu
.33oz Chinook - 5 min 2.8 ibu
.66oz Citra - 0 min/flameout
.66oz Mosaic - 0 min/flameout
.33oz Chinook - 0 min/flameout

Whirlpool/steep between 170-180

2oz Citra - Steep/whirlpool 30min 30.2 ibu
2oz Mosaic - Steep/whirlpool 30min 29.2 ibu
1oz Chinook - Steep/whirlpool 30min 16.3 ibu

Dry hops
1 oz Citra 7 days
1 oz Mosaic 7 days
1 oz Chinook 7 days
1 oz Citra 4 days
1 oz Mosaic 4 days

I brewed this last month. Came in at 1.055 OG/1.008 FG. A little low based on the recipe and lower than the real deal which is 7.2% ABV. I realize my system needs to be dialed in for better efficiency. Tasted at 2 weeks in the bottle and found it to be pretty nice. Very fruity with a dry finish. Next time I'll reduce the Citra a bit and add a little more Chinook for flavor. I'll post a pic when I have a chance. Also I'm not sure I'll ever get to compare it to the original since its a seasonal beer.

Anyhow I welcome any feedback or additions and hope someone else wants to give it a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yeah, it's a seasonal beer that has changed each year. This last year's was AMAZING. Agreed on the Chinook forward flavor. This is great info from the brewers. I'll have to try this soon myself. Maybe try Chinook at 15 for more flavor contribution.

Yeah, it's a seasonal beer that has changed each year. This last year's was AMAZING. Agreed on the Chinook forward flavor. This is great info from the brewers. I'll have to try this soon myself. Maybe try Chinook at 15 for more flavor contribution.

Good call, I will try that.

Also I went big on the hop additions since I do partial boils. I usually end up topping off with about 1.5 gallons, which as we know cuts the IBUs. I really wasn't sure how this would pan out but I am very pleased so far. The bitterness is pretty perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I've been chasing that Chinook/Mosaic flavor since I had this beer this summer and finally got it in my winter warmer ipa. Looked at my notes and I did 1oz Amarillo, 1 oz Mosaic and .5 oz chinook at 15 mins and the same at flameout for a long chill steep (put the pot in a water bath and went to a party). I will do the same if I try this but use Citra instead of Amarillo. It might have helped that I was using super fresh 2014 pellets.

I've been chasing that Chinook/Mosaic flavor since I had this beer this summer and finally got it in my winter warmer ipa. Looked at my notes and I did 1oz Amarillo, 1 oz Mosaic and .5 oz chinook at 15 mins and the same at flameout for a long chill steep (put the pot in a water bath and went to a party). I will do the same if I try this but use Citra instead of Amarillo. It might have helped that I was using super fresh 2014 pellets.

Nice thanks for the info.

I think my hop ratios are off for sure. I think I'll do more of a 2:1 ratio of Citra/Mosaic/Chinook on the next batch. Looking at the recipe now I was at 4:1 :-o Regardless it made a pretty nice IPA just not exactly the 3 Way.

Version 2.0

BIAB Partial Mash
5 Gallons
OG: 1.064 FG: 1.017
IBUs calculated: 166.2
SRM 6.2
Ferment US-05 1 pack pitched at 64

6.5Lbs Briess Organic 2Row
3Lbs Extra Light DME flameout
.19Lbs Aromatic malt
.25Lbs Crystal 50 <- LHBS mistake should've been 15
1.8Lbs Flaked Corn

1oz Chinook - 60 min

.50oz Chinook - 15min
.75oz Citra
1oz Mosaic

.50oz Chinook - 5 min
.75oz Citra
1oz Mosaic

1oz Chinook - Steep 175 30 minutes
1.5oz Citra
2.00oz Mosaic

Dry hop - 4 days, 2 stage

.50oz Citra
1oz Chinook
1oz Mosaic

Mashed at 150 for 60 minutes. Did a mash out to 170, rinsed with about 1.5 gallons. Ended up with an OG of 1.072! Brewed on Saturday, will update with results.

Man I absolutely loved this beer over the summer. Most IPAs are too sweet for me, but this one was divine. Looking at the grain bill and seeing the 16% flaked corn and the lightbulb goes off. Have never seen that in an IPA before - but I'll definitely be trying this.

Yeah I don't see flaked corn in IPAs much but it makes a huge difference!

Definitely post your recipe/results when you brew it! :)

Took gravity on Friday. Sitting at 1.016, maybe because I only pitched 1 pack of US-05? I usually get 84% attenuation from my 1.055ish beers, but we'll see what happens in a few days.

Put in the first stage dry hops:

.50oz Citra
1oz Chinook
1oz Mosaic

Will take out the first stage, then add the same for the 2nd stage on Tuesday night plan on bottling Sunday or Monday.

Bottled on Tuesday. FG 1.014 so that puts this batch at 7.7%

Ended up with a 7 day dry hop on the second stage.

Quick update. 3 weeks bottled. Had a bomber last night. Really tasty, though a tad too much Chinook. Maybe just 1oz total in the dry hop next time and a bit more Citra & Mosaic.

I think I got a few extra points down in the bottle, it finished drier than the first couple I tried.

All in all I am very pleased. I think I'm going to go for version 3.0 soon.

What was the flavor profile like on the malt bill? Think it's pretty accurate? I'm not too experienced with what corn and aromatic.

Yeah I really think it's there.

It takes a while for it to come together because of the corn I think. Before it's fully conditioned it tasted kinda sweet but at 3 weeks in the bottle it's a whole new world.
The malt really just takes a back seat, it's there but not overbearing at all. Just mash around 150 for sure.

My next batch will be kegged so it'll be interesting to see how it performs

Back