Forgot to take WLP002 out of fridge for starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EuBrew

Reaction score
So I'm heating up my water to make my starter for my brew session tomorrow and I just realized I forgot to take the yeast out of the fridge CRAP!!:mad: I know it says 3-6 hours, but can I use it any sooner?

I'd let it warm up to close to room temp, then pitch. I would avoid pitching right out of the fridge as this may temp shock the yeast.

Thanks, I've been rolling it in my hands to warm it up. I can wait til an hour is up then roll with it. I'm glad I looked becuase I'm doing 2 different starters and one of them was way out of date, 4-22-09!! called the LHBS and will get a replacement tomorrow, guess I know which beer I'm brewing tomorrow!

hmmm. I have never waited that long. I usually just put it in my pocket for about a 1/2 hr before pitching.

I had the time and figured better safe than sorry!! It's working away, man that WLP002 is some creepy looking stuff! Of course I got my delivery from FedEx first which is the one that uses the dead yeast I'm taking back here in a couple minutes. Stupid UPS anyway, I need my grains so I can squeeze in my brew day before the SWMBO gets home!! :mad:

You could always keep chilling down your starter to match your yeast temp... all you're trying to do is not shock the yeast :)

You don't need to warm it up, yeast only gets temp shocked if you drop the temp on it too fast (unless you're pitching it into really hot wort.)

I've just read about cold pitching recently and I pitched my last batch right out of the fridge. It had signs of fermentation in 2-3 hrs and was at high krausen in about 24 hours.

I did the same thing last Sunday and just kept it in my pocket to warm it up. I had screaming fermentation going when I checked on it in the A.M. so fear not! I've never had any issues with White Labs. I think they make top quality yeast for sure.

Back