Forgot to take OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't really care what it is, but just would like to find a rough estimate of what it is. Is it too late?

When did you pitch the yeast?

If you tell me your recipe, I bet we could get within a % point.

6 lbs. Munich liquid malt extract
12 oz. Caramel 10L, 4 oz. Chocolate Malt specialty grains
2 oz. Crystal
1 oz. Hallertau pellet hops
WYeast 1007

Pitched on 12/8
now my gravity it about 1.010 (I think, I'm still getting used to reading the Hydro)
Temp is about 68 or so degrees in the room

Pitched on 12/8

Yes, too late for a reading. You could have taken a reading right after pitching, before the yeast went to work if you forget in the future.

I think you are safe to assume an OG of 1.050 for 5 gallons and you'll be close enough.

Have no fear. I found this OG calculator; you can put in your ingredients and procedures and it gives a decent estimate for OG, FG, IBU, ABV, and what sex your next child will be:
http://beercalculus.hopville.com/recipe
I've tried it and compared it to my hydrometer readings; let me know if any of you have used this and had mixed results.

tasty brew has one of those calcultors too. i did the same thing with my first batch.i was worried about bottle bombs cuz i got a hydro right before botteling it was 1.016 and thats exactly what the FG came out to not saying yours will be exact and i dont believe all grain are going to be 100% exact either. those calculators have extract and partial mash settings for type of boil.its up to the yeast to decide when its done. an estimate then consecutive readings that dont drop anymore

You are going to run into accuracy problems doing extract and PM batches with those calculators. You have 2 different efficiencies going on. Yours with the grains and the Malter's efficiency with the extract. It will be close but not exact.

Those calculators work best for AG brewers who know their efficiency.

Latest posts

Back