Forgot to sanitize Theif!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nefarious_1_

Reaction score
I'm 15hrs. into my latest brew and, in the midst of a violent fermentation, was hastily working to prevent a blow-off when I forgot to sanitize my thief! I had the stopper and airlock off just before affixing my blow-off hose and figured I'd take a quick temp. reading and forgot to sanitize my sample taker...
First time anything like this has happened to me... I only stuck it down into the beer maybe 4 or 5 inches, do you think it's ruined???

I had the thief out yesterday during brewing and cleaned it before putting it away... not sure if that matters though...

If I had to guess you should be ok......but only time will tell. Most odf us have done worse at some time.

Most likely you will be fine, but there is nothing you can do at this point but to sit and wait. (and remember to sanitize in the future!)

You're 99% fine. During violent fermentation, yeast will take over most other organism.

I've dropped an IR Thermometer in a cooled kettle of wort before and it turned out fine (both the beer & the thermometer). Just let it ferment and see what happens.

The sample actually tasted pretty good, smooth and hoppy as expected. It was a bit more watery than I thought it would be, but my OG was on point so I'm hoping it's just a green taste that will change over time.
BTW: blow-off is set and yeast are churning away!

Beer that hasn't had time to bottle condition and carb will often feel watery in the mouth. Think of it as a spaghetti sauce that hasn't had time to reduce down.

I only stuck it down into the beer maybe 4 or 5 inches...

I just read this part. Either you're really long or you've filled it up right to the top of the carboy.

In all seriousness, you should probably be OK. My chemist friend I brew with believes that dry things are mostly sanitary anyway. He pretty much makes fun of me for my bucket full of Iodophor soaking all my parts that need to be sanitized. So I'll believe him, since he's got a PhD and all... FWIW I don't sanitize my dry hopping measuring stuff, if that's any consolation.

I usually forget to spray my mash paddle that I also use to stir/aerate before pitching. Yep, forget yesterday when I did my vanilla porter. Oh well.

Dude, what are you doing taking a gravity reading after 15 hours? Did I read that right? That's way too soon.

Beer that hasn't had time to bottle condition and carb will often feel watery in the mouth. Think of it as a spaghetti sauce that hasn't had time to reduce down.

In my experiences, I agree. I'm not too worried about it, just seemed a little more washy than usual but my OG was spot on so I'm sure it will mature like a fine... ...beer!:cross:

"I had the stopper and airlock off just before affixing my blow-off hose and figured I'd take a quick temp. reading and forgot to sanitize my sample taker..."

btw, you guys should slow down and read the thread... lol

I still haven't had a chance to pick up one of those handy-dandy fermometers so given the opportunity I figured I'd check... Picking one up in my next order...

"I had the stopper and airlock off just before affixing my blow-off hose and figured I'd take a quick temp. reading and forgot to sanitize my sample taker..."

btw, you guys should slow down and read the thread... lol

I still haven't had a chance to pick up one of those handy-dandy fermometers so given the opportunity I figured I'd check... Picking one up in my next order...

Even improvising you should be able to take a temp easier than that. Just take a regular thermometer press it up against the carboy or BB, while pressing a paper towel against it for a min or two. You will get the fermentation temp this way, rather than the ambient temp.

I know I'm paranoid, but drawing a sample to do a temp check makes even less sense than taking a gravity sample at 15 hours. It seems like you would do more harm than good.

I'm sure it will be fine though, mostly.....

Back