forgot to label my different grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDrunkChef

Reaction score
So I left the LHBS without marking what grains i had purchased. My original recipe called for:

9 lbs of light DME

.5 lbs crystal 40

.5 lbs of crystal 120

.25 lbs of biscut

I have a half pound of biscut and can't tell the grains apart, will it hurt to use a half instead of the original quarter lbs??? and how will it affect my beer. This will be a British IPA. boiling with 1 oz of magnum and 1 oz Kent Goldings for 60, 1.5 oz Kent Golding for 10.

Also I would like to dry hop this in secondary so what should I use and how much. I have plenty of Kent Goldings and also a couple oz's whole leaf Vanguard.

Wooohoooo, the UPS guy just arrived with all my other goodies. now i'm ready to spend tomorrow brewing beer!!!

one more quick question to add. What would .25 lbs of corn sugar do to the flavor and body of my beer?

You should be able to taste the difference. The biscuit should have a toasty flavour, while the crystals should be kind of sweet.

What size batch is this, 7.5 or 10 gal? The extra 1/4 lbs of biscuit only changes your gravity by about 0.001, so it shouldn't be a big deal.

this is a 5 gallon batch, i'm just assuming that the biscut will have a stronger smell than as well since one of the bags has a MUCH stronger fragrance.

one more quick question to add. What would .25 lbs of corn sugar do to the flavor and body of my beer?

not much. sugar has no flavor. it simply converts to alcohol. it'll dry out the beer a little. .25lbs isn't much though, so little in fact I wouldn't bother. I wouldn't consider it appropriate to the style you're making.

5 gal? That is a HUGE beer, almost 1.100. The extra biscuit won't make a difference.

yeah it was a recommended recipe for a British IPA by a couple members of this site. according to TastyBrew.com it has an OG of 1.084 finishing at 1.021. alcohol I hope should be around 8.1%.

With BeerCalculus, I get 1.091 SG, ending 1.022 for an ABV of 9.1%, not sure where the difference is in the calcs, but either way it should be tasty :)

A local brew pub dry hops their IPA with East Kent and I love it, so I recommend going with a good amount of EK. Good luck!

+1 on more hops.

You may want to bump up the hop bill for an English IIPA, your BU:GU is around 0.50.
I'd throw an oz of EKG in at 20, 10, and 5 and dry hop with the vanguard.

Damn. Now I'm thirsty.

Back