Forgot to empty cylinder

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moonshae

Reaction score
After I tested my OG in the basement Saturday, I cleaned the hydrometer and put it away, then forgot about the cylinder full of wort. Just noticed it today, and it has a 1" krausen on the top, and the solids that dropped out were churning away. Smells pretty funky, though, and of course, there were no hops in it. Maybe I'll wash the residue when it stops fermenting and save it for a lambic. :p

wait... no hops? So it's just a wild infection of some kind. That'd make me scour my brewery end-to-end and put on air filters and generally just pull on my hair and fret about the natural world. :eek:

If the sample was drawn after you pitched, it's just a mini-ferment. Sometimes I've left the sample & hydrometer next to the fermenter and watched the gravity go down.

Not much to do here in the winter.:tank:

. . . So it's just a wild infection of some kind. That'd make me scour my brewery end-to-end and put on air filters and generally just pull on my hair and fret about the natural world. :eek:

Yeah, if it started up right away I'd be worried. Most of the time I leave the OG sample on the counter for a few days. The longer it goes without starting a natural fermentation the better my sanitary conditions are. It's a good indicator that there aren't any bugs competing with my yeast.

I took the cylinder into the basement, I don't brew there. It was at least a week before it got started, so all is good.

I'm not chugging it!

If it smells rancid dump it, trust me :D. If it just smells sourish then you can leave it go OR you can boil it and then ferment with a regular yeast strain. This is the basis for some beers I do. I allow them to begin Lacto-fermentation and then arrest the process when the desired sour level is reached.

Back