Forgot to do starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barleyboy

Reaction score
I bought all the ingredients a week ago for a Kölsch and was just waiting to brew with my brother, and I was waiting for his schedule to decide when to brew. Well, his only available day this week is Monday, so we are brewing then. Obviously, I don't have time to do a yeast starter. Any suggestions (other than brew another day)?

I take you don't have a stir plate?

My starters are usually very active within 12 hours of being on the stir plate.

I would make it now and be sure to swirl your vessel as often as possible until pitch time.

What's your OG? It's usually best to make a starter but if your OG is below 1045 you should be fine.

OG should be 1.044. I thought about not using a starter but wasn't sure what kind of results I'd get. I think that's what I'll do though, just pitch my un-started yeast. Thanks!

Cool, next time make one anyway--It's just better that way with liquid yeast. You can't really over pitch.

Edit: I just realized you're not brewing until tomorrow. You could have easily made a starter yesterday of even this morning. You could even do one tonight, just assume that you will be pitching the whole starter instead of decanting off the spent wort.

Ravenshead said:
Cool, next time make one anyway--It's just better that way with liquid yeast. You can't really over pitch.

Edit: I just realized you're not brewing until tomorrow. You could have easily made a starter yesterday of even this morning. You could even do one tonight, just assume that you will be pitching the whole starter instead of decanting off the spent wort.

Actually, I did end up making a starter this afternoon and, as you said, I'll just pitch the whole thing tomorrow. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back