Forgot to do a protein rest for Witbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjstew

Reaction score
Got a question about protein rest when mashing. I brewed a Belgian Witbier yesterday, grain bill is below. Lots of unmalted grain. I completely spaced on the protein rest and mashed at 151 for about 90 minutes or so. I batch sparged with 2lbs of rice hulls and got a half gallon more than the predicted runoff so stuck sparge/sticky mess wasn't an issue. Obviously I got low efficiency at 61%, which is fine because my predicted ABV is still 5%.

My question is, what affect will neglecting the protein rest have on the finished beer?

Fermentables

Amount Fermentable Maltster Use PPG Color
10.5 lb 52 % Pilsner (BE) Any Mash 37 1 °L
4.5 lb 22 % Unmalted Wheat (BE) Any Mash 36 2 °L
3.5 lb 17 % Red Wheat (US) Any Mash 38 2 °L
26.0 oz 8 % Rolled Oats Any Boil 33 2 °L

I think you'll be fine with the 10.5 lbs of Pilsner malt. I would probably do this recipe again and this time make sure to add the protein rest and see if there's an identifiable difference.

Since the style is supposed to be somewhat cloudy, I do not use a protein rest for my Wits. My grainbill and mash schedule is similar to what you listed. I also think your Wit will be fine, assuming you have your spices to your taste.

Maybe its because I fly sparge, but I do not experience stuck sparges even without using rice hulls. Using them is cheap insurance using that much wheat, its just that I have never needed to.

Back