Forgot to Boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elip8332

Reaction score
Hey guys, brewing my 1st batch of beer today. I steeped my specialty grains at the listed temperature for 30 minutes. I took the grains out and turned the heat off then poured in and stirred my malt extracts. Here is the thing, I forgot to bring the water to a boil after steeping my grains, before adding my malt extracts. Is my beer ruined?

You can boil it now. You will need to do a full 60 minute boil in order to get the right amount of bitterness from your hops. If you've pitched yeast already you will need to buy more and pitch again after it's cooled.

It won't ruin anything to boil with the extract in the kettle, though, if that's what you're asking. That will be fine, really. It will ruin the beer to not boil it.

I just forget to bring it to a boil before adding malt extracts. I put them in and have it boiling now. will do 60 minute boil after foam subsides. That ok?

That's just fine - for future reference you may want to add a good portion of your extract near the end of the boil, say around 10 min. Some say it results in less extract "twang" and a lighter color. I'm inclined to agree. Hop utilization will be a bit higher without extract in for the full boil, but that's a less pressing issue for further down the road.

Also, make sure your extract is good and dissolved - you don't want any scorching at the bottom of the pot that will cause off flavors. Give a it a good stir occasionally, at least early on.

Should be fine. Just follow your hop schedule once the foam subsides.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

You are fine.

Next time you may not want to add all your extract at first boil. There are posts here in regard to that.

Does your kit include any hops? Or are you using a pre-hopped extract? If it's prehopped, there is no need to boil for 60 minutes. 10 minutes will be more than enough. If you have hops to add, you'll need to boil according to the hop schedule, like others pointed out.

I always add my DME as soon as I remove the steeping grains since with less steam not as much will stick to the bag. I'll then usually add the LME at the end of the boil to reduce the Maillard Reaction that it will undergo during the boil. I also usually adjust my recipes so that it is 2/3rd LME and 1/3rd DME.

Here is a pretty good write up on why to add extract late/flameout:

http://beersmith.com/blog/2008/02/20/better-beer-with-late-malt-extract-additions/

One thing to remember is that you need some extract/wort in the boil to get the most utilization out of your hops which is why I tend to do 1/3rd at beginning and 2/3rd at the end.

Latest posts

Back